Menu
ChrisB78
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

SSID and Password change not secure site

Hi, as a newby broadband customer I was surprised to find when I tried to change my Hub3 SSID and generic password on the URL http://192.168.0.1, the site warns it is insecure and advised me not to enter any passwords???!!! How can this be?. Not brimming with confidence in Virgin right now.  How can that situation be allowed to happen? Any advice greatly appreciated. ChrisB78

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: SSID and Password change not secure site

Hi ChrisB78,

You aren't connecting to the internet when using 192.168.0.1  -  you are connecting to your own internal equipment, a private IP address, hence no need to be secure. The traffic is only going from your computer to your router and not externally. Your home router doesn't have its own certificate signed by a Certificate Authority, but as the link is within just one house that doesn't matter

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Problem Solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks for a useful post

ChrisB78
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: SSID and Password change not secure site

Hi newapollo,  thanx for your answer, very much appreciated.  I think it would be a very good idea for Virgin to make this clear to new users and remove the difficulty and doubt and to answer chatbot and phone calls. But what the hey!! They dont. Glad you do. 🙂

0 Kudos