cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNMP Alert

SadieB
Joining in

I keep getting these SNMP Alert emails. We added some security cameras last year and I think that's the issue because these messages started almost immediately after that. It doesn't happen everytime but often, when we access the camera feed via our TV, I get one of these emails from Virgin.

I'm not technically minded and cannot understand a word of what I have to do on the Virgin media website. It's all a foreign language to me. I don't know what an IP address is, where I can find the hub, what a port is, etc. One bit of advice was to download some additional security software but how do I do that when it's nothing to do with my computer. The camera feed comes through a box which is connected to my TV. How will downloading software on my computer, solve that?

No-one I've spoke to at Virgin knows what I'm talking about, I don't understand the advice given already in the community pages on here and I just need some straight forward instructions (in idiot-English) to explain how to fix the problem. 

10 REPLIES 10

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Not being able to see what is in the email from VM I cannot really help. Perhaps you have got one of the cheap camera systems that is always calling home to China.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @SadieB,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post and I'm very sorry to hear that you're having some issues with seeing these alerts!

Can you tell us if you're getting notifications of these errors, or if you're getting emails?

Have you tried to disconnect the cameras to see if the error messages continue? 

Please try rebooting your Hub to see if this can help clear the issue.

Please take a look and let us know. 

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

This is the email message I've been getting from Virgin.

--------------

We have been alerted on four separate occasions that a device connected to your home network may have an SNMP vulnerability

SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) is a method by which a device can be managed remotely on the network. An SNMP vulnerability is a security issue whereby a 3rd party can use this protocol to ultimately gain unauthorized access to your network/devices for malicious purposes.

It is therefore important that you follow the advice in this letter.

What has happened?

We suspect the device may have been misconfigured by you, someone in your household or without your knowledge. If the settings are left unchanged they can be exploited to unwittingly participate in malicious activities, for example a Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack.

-----------

The rest of the email includes a link to Virgin's help pages and a suggestion to download some free software. 

I can disconnect the cameras from the main box but I don't want to leave them switched off for any amount of time. I've reboot the WiFi and the Oyn-X box (that's for the cameras) a dozen times but I still get the emails. 

Hi @SadieB thanks for your reply, I do apologise.

Are you able to inform us perhaps of the link that the email has directed you to, and we can advise further here?

Is it perhaps this one here?

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi Tom_W1

This is the link in my email...

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/security/network-vulnerability-alerts

It also suggests downloading the Web Safe software but I don't see how that's going to solve the problem when it's nothing to do with my computer. 

Hi Sadie 👋 thank you for keeping this thread updated. 

I can appreciate this must both be frustrating and of concern. It does sound as though the issue is directly to do with the security cameras you are using that are connected to your network. It would be really useful to know the following information so we can investigate further and try to offer additional support with this;

1) What is the make / model of the security cameras you are using?

2) Do you have any additional 3rd party networking equipment? For example 

2) Do you know if they are connected specifically to one of the 2 Wi-Fi networks your hub transmits signal from? And do you have Split Wi-Fi bands currently to facilitate this? (Your hub transmits signal via two networks - a lot like radio! One is 2.4ghz, and the other is 5ghz. It's not uncommon for these types of cameras to only work on one of these networks.)

3) How are you connecting the TV to the camera? Is this via Wi-Fi? Via a cable of some kind? As the alerts are usually happening after connecting the camera device to the TV it may be that the way you are connecting is not entirely secure, and this is why you are receiving the message. 

If the security camera system you are using has the ability to be remote accessed via another network (for example, by the providing company) you may find that this is triggering the SNMP alert. An SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) are generally used to access or manage a device remotely on a computer network. If configured incorrectly, third parties may be able to use this protocol to gain unauthorised access to your network or devices for malicious purposes.

This wouldn't be something we can just turn off or remove, as it is a security alert for your protection. You would need to ensure some changes are made to your home networking setup (potentially including the cameras) to make sure that your network is secure and cannot be accessed remotely to avoid the alerts in future. 

I hope this helps explain things a bit better. Please let us know about the answers to the questions above, and we will continue to offer further support from there. 

Thank you for your patience in the meantime! All the best. 🌞

Molly

Hi MollyT 

To answer your questions (as best as I can)...

1) The make of the cameras are Oyn-X. I'm afraid I don't know the model as I can't reach them to see but they are a dome/eyeball camera, exactly like the AHD4-Eye types. 

2) I'm afraid I don't know what that is or how to check it.

3) The cameras are both connected by cables to a box in the living room. This box is then connected via a lead to the TV (USB, I think). 

The box itself must have WiFi capabilities (or maybe it's the cameras) because I have an app on my phone that can access the feed. 

I hope that helps. 

Thanks SadieB,

Can you go into the camera software settings and try and turn the email alerts off. You'll have to consult the manual for it.

Should you want email notifications, you'll have to consult the manufacturer/guide/ and make sure everything is setup correct.

Alex_Rm

Hi Alex

Apologies for the late reply.

I've been looking at the settings, notifications and alerts both on my app and on the DVR box but none of them include sending anything to my email address. In fact, I couldn't find anything that even had a box to enter my email address. 

Maybe it's not the cameras causing the SNMP Alerts. The alerts started within days of having the cameras fitted but maybe that was just a coincidence.