Menu
DebWatkins
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

SCAM: Fake Virgin Media Email

I received an email yesterday seemingly from Virgin Media but the email address was gravis@grv.co.jp asking me to confirm bank details since my last payment could not be taken and interruption to service would follow if not confirmed.  Just wanted to warn others. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
coenoby
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: SCAM: Fake Virgin Media Email

From what you say it seems to be very much like this one which VM posted on this forum on Friday.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Latest-Phishing-News-16-11-2018/td-p/3874107

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
derekh110953
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Just recieved exactly the same email myself in my inbox. Came from gravis@grv.co,uk and the time is odd as well 03.53 this morning. Expect lots will be getting these.

Checked my account directly and everything is fine as it should be!

Wonder how they have my email addess though!!

Will be deleting this completely sttraight away.

Derek.

derekh110953
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Just taken a look at the link posted above to a VM Security Scam notification from Friday. The wording is different but the essence of the scam is the same!
derekh110953
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Shouldn't be writing posts when I'm still half asleep! email came from gravis@grv.co.jp and not grv.co.uk. Ooops!
coenoby
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@derekh110953 wrote:

the time is odd as well 03.53 this morning.

Not really, scammers and spammers don't necessarily work 9.00am to 5.00pmSmiley Very Happy

"Wonder how they have my email addess though!!"

Here are the main ways:

1) They buy it off  the dark web.

Go to https://haveibeenpwned.com/ and type in your email address to see if it is one the 5 billion email addresses that have been compromised by one the many data breaches affecting many large organisations across the world. Dropbox, Linkedin and Tumblr come immediately to mind but there have been hundreds more.

2) Robotic Harvesting Tools. These are constantly crawling the web looking for email addresses in websites, forums and social media. The bots capture any email address they find for spammers and scammers. That is why the rules of this forum say that no-one should put their email or contact details into a post.

3) Dictionary programs that generate email addresses. The program can create thousands of names and combinations of letters which combined with '@virginmedia.com' (and the other legacy VM domains) will provide a great distribution list if you want to scam VM customers. And at virtually no cost!  Of course many of the addresses will not be valid but many of them will be.

I could go on but I'm sure you get the picture.Smiley Wink

"The wording is different but the essence of the scam is the same!"

Exactly. These scams are running 365 days a year and have been doing so for many years. The exact wording may be different but they all look very similar. Once you've seen one you've seen them all. It is not just VM being targeted either. The same scams target Sky, BT and Talktalk.

The main defence against them is the good guys closing down the fake websites that the email links to.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
nolly1953
Dialled in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ditto today - hyperlink points to removed

[MOD EDIT: For your security the URL has been removed. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
savik2
Up to speed
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Just received this:-

Your latest Virgin Media Bill cannot be processed  

Dear ********@blueyonder.co.uk,

Your latest Virgin Media bill cannot be processed at this time. The billing details associated with your account have recently expired. Your service is scheduled for disconnection on:

01 February, 2019

Please click below to update your billing details now, so that we may retry the payment for your bill:

[scam link]

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team

The sender purports to be webteam.virgin.media.ec54803owzmomwt56549@art-h-pied.com.  I didn't click on the link because it is obviously a scam, although the email itself looks legit at first glance. 

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Hyperlink removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Well done for not falling for this scam, although I have to disagree with you that it looks legitimate. The links are clearly fake.  Already warned about by the VM Security team here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Latest-Phishing-News-30-01-2019/m-p/3924165#M3...

PS: I have flagged this to the moderators so that they can remove the phishing link that you have repeated in your post.

savik2
Up to speed
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply, Graham, and  for flagging my message up with he Moderator: this was my reason for including it - wanting the Moderators to see it and, hopefully, DO something about the scammers.  After posting on here, I also notified VM's phishing department by forwarding the offending message to them.

I note that you disagreed with my opinion that it looks legit - I was using the term "looks" to mean the visual appearance of the email when it arrives.  Obviously if one actually checks out the links (hopefully BEFORE clicking on them), they are clearly fake to experienced users, but not everyone bothers to do this, and people who are new to VM and aren't familar with the modus operandi of the company may not recognise the links as fake.  I just wanted to make sure everyone out there is aware that there is a scam going round.  

0 Kudos