cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCAM Call From Local VM Number

phil_i
Tuning in

For awareness & to question how @VirginMedia cannot stop these calls.

Call from [REMOVED]

It's tech support about the problem with my broadband.

Usual Patter

Run EVENTVWR (on a windows machine)

Point to the list of events & say there are bad things happening (they are not, these are normal)

Direct you to download remote control software by accessing a link to a link shortener with /virginsupport9 in the address. This downloads remote desktop software which they then use to take control of your computer & convince you to purchase some software that isn't needed.

At that point I asked them what they were doing with their lives and we parted ways.

Given that they are masquerading as a VM number, why can't they be blocked?

They clearly are able to target Virgin customers by virtue of the numbers used - at least here in Nottingham, you can. 

[MOD EDIT: number edited in case it's an innocent number being spoofed]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

It will in all likelihood be a spoofed (copied/cloned from VM's number block) number either stolen from a legitimate user who is not connected with the scam or simply a number from the block which is not in use. Chosen for the reason you have mentioned to make it look like a local call and probably from the same VM number group as other local VM customers.

If you are asking why VM is not blocking this particular number, if VM blocked it they would potentially be blocking calls to a legitimate user and one of their own customers.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

goslow
Alessandro Volta

It will in all likelihood be a spoofed (copied/cloned from VM's number block) number either stolen from a legitimate user who is not connected with the scam or simply a number from the block which is not in use. Chosen for the reason you have mentioned to make it look like a local call and probably from the same VM number group as other local VM customers.

If you are asking why VM is not blocking this particular number, if VM blocked it they would potentially be blocking calls to a legitimate user and one of their own customers.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @phil_i,

Thanks for posting!

Whilst we can't these block numbers for reasons such as that provided by goslow, we do provide some advice on how to handle these types of calls here.  

Kind Regards

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs