Menu
Just joined
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

SCAM CALLS

Received 3 calls today 13.11.20  - saying they are from Virgin Media technical team - 01642275342 - 01311629056 - 01313147298.  Asking what colour light is on the modem - Virgin want to upgrade the internet - husband told them yellow.  But then asked us to log on to our computer and sign in using google chrome - as that point I stepped in and said no, as we don't know who you are - they promptly disconnected.  Third time they phone, I said - no you're not from virgin at all - to which she said I was a scam - I replied - no love, you're the scam - disconnected.  I cannot believe the brazen cheek of it.  Sadly some people will fall for these scams.  Just wait people to be aware.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: SCAM CALLS

Do a search for "scam calls" on this & the home phone forums. There are now 20 to 30 posts identical to yours.

Nearly everyone with a landline is getting these calls, as the scammers have ramped up the calls assuming more people are at home.

1) They do not know you are a Virgin customer. They just assume that because OFCOMs database of numbers (which is freely available on the internet) attaches your number allocation to Virgin that you are a Virgin customer. If it was attached to BT they would say they are from BT.

2) These guys are using automated VoIP dialling kit. It can "spoof" any UK number (even your own), & can call batches of numbers continually. So no matter what number you have they will eventually get round to you.

The best course of action is to hang up straight away or let the call go to voicemail or answerphone. If they get a verbal response from a real person they will keep calling you.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos