cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Hacked - is this a scam

bevorrewing
Settling in

I just had a call from a lady (sounded like she was in a busy Indian call centre as per most of Virgin's technical support). She said my router had been compromised and was being used by multiple devices any my internet would be shut down soon. She correctly identified that our connection has been pretty bad for the last couple of nights. She asked if I had time to go through some support with her which needed just one device to make some changes. I said I was busy at that moment and she provided me with a number to call her back on 02380970327 at 2pm. In some ways the call seemed genuine but I'm still concerned to give her a call back and potentially run through changes. Any thoughts as to whether this is genuine. Its pretty disgusting that Virgin Media are so impossible to get through to at the moment. Not sure what on earth the high monthly cost is for if at every point you are actively discouraged from contacting them.  

4 REPLIES 4

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

Yes it is a scam has been going around for a while now, have a look at https://www.virginmedia.com/help/fraudulent-calls on how to deal with them.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks Mike. So a couple of things then that seem odd. Why would the number that she is calling from seemingly be from my Virgin landline number (which was actually disconnected almost a year ago - we just have internet now). Also how does she know that our connection for the last couple of nights has been unusually very patchy. Thanks for any insights. 

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

A lot of the scammers have the ability to spoof the phone number meaning that they can make it seem that the call has come from a valid number even numbers that no longer exist. She doesnt know anything about your connection it is pretty much guess work on her half.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank You. I did manage to get through to Virgin and they confirmed no one has called me. With home working and home schooling the panic of the internet being shut down is quite a scare!