cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retention phone- strange number

solarpower03
Tuning in

Hi all,

I am ending my contract, and I got a phone call from [MOD EDIT: Number removed] which seems like a private number- perhaps a scam. Furthermore, I got this call in the evening (8:30pm)  and subsequent text about the retention offer via [MOD EDIT: Number removed]. Are these Virgin media folks or scammers?

Thanks,

S

4 REPLIES 4

solarpower03
Tuning in

Hi all

I got a phone from [MOD EDIT: Number removed] claiming to be Virgin Media as I am ending my contract. Why would Virgin phone from such a number in the evening? Seems like scam. 

Can someone illuminate me here

Thanks

Hi Solarpower03, welcome back to the community! Thank you for getting in touch to raise this to our attention. 

Sincerest apologies that this happened! 

This is not a known number associated to us. 

We can also check your account to confirm if the call came from ourselves, we will just need to send you a PM to confirm a few details to arrange this. I will send you a PM which you will find in the top right corner of the page in your Inbox. 

If you need more advice on how to deal with nuisance or fraudulent calls please see our guidance page here. 

If you have been a victim of fraud, call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or visit the Action Fraud website. Action Fraud is the reporting centre for fraud and cybercrime in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Reports of fraud and any other financial crime in Scotland should be reported to Police via 101. However, if debit cards, online banking or cheques are involved in the scam your first step should be to contact your bank or credit card company.

Remember to record the time of the unsolicited contact, the name of the person contacting you and the contact method (telephone numbers or email contact details). All this will be helpful to any investigation.

We can return to the public thread with an update following our PM conversation. 

All the best! 

Molly

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @solarpower03 

VM do have agents working from home so the calls may be genuine, however even landline calls can be spoofed.

The text is more than likely genuine. I would suggest calling retentions (thinking of leaving us) if you are interested in the offer and they may be able to help. The agent that sent the text should have annoted the account with the details.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @solarpower03

Welcome back to the community!

I can see that you are already in an open conversation with one of my forum colleagues about the same issue on another thread. If you have any further questions or concerns, please direct them to your open conversation rather than here, so we are able to answer quicker for you. Many Thanks. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley