cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request for Password

Stuart9469
Joining in

Why am I being asked to verify my password by vm contact centre staff when they phone me!!

This shouldn’t be happening you need to find another way to verify. The person was very insistent and demanding, I am sure some would have crumbled and gave them the password.

I requested the information they wanted to pass to me be sent via email, I am still waiting for the email!

4 REPLIES 4

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Stuart9469 wrote:

Why am I being asked to verify my password by vm contact centre staff when they phone me!!

This shouldn’t be happening you need to find another way to verify. The person was very insistent and demanding, I am sure some would have crumbled and gave them the password.

I requested the information they wanted to pass to me be sent via email, I am still waiting for the email!

@Stuart9469 

They will be asking for characters from your customer verification passphrase, not for your My Virgin Media account or email password.

This is standard practice so that they can verify that they are speaking to the account holder and not some random third party who has happened to answer the phone.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Stuart9469,

Welcome back to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

As @Graham_A has correctly advised, when we call you, we would need to verify we are speaking to the correct person for security reasons. 

What was the call regarding? Were you expecting a call from us?

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

No I wasn’t, I can only assume it was about my installation date, but requested an email and still waiting.

I don’t believe if you phone me that I should be requested to disclose any part of my password, this is a security issues, repeated phone calls can obtain the full password, also the manner in how the information was demanded would no doubt be intimidating to a vulnerable person.

Hey Stuart9469, thank you for reaching back out. 

We ask this information as we need to sure we are following the law and also to make sure we are speaking to the account holder.

I understand you might not want to do this and if you don't this is fine. 

However the agent ringing you up wouldn't be able to get into your account with this information.

You could also ring in and from there they would you the questions if you prefer that. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?