Menu
aderussell
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phishing emails

Am I missing some logic here?

I got a phishing email (the one saying there was a problem paying my bill.

I tried reporting it to phishing@virginmedia.com, but it was rejected as it contained spam

I tried just sending a normal email to that address, and got an auto reply saying if I had a report rejected like this 'not to worry' as there were outgoing filters blocking it and they already know about it

Not to worry?   People are getting these phishing emails (allowed through by Virgin) and could respond and give away their details.

Virgin are letting them in , but preventing us reporting them to the very address set up to report them. 

It seems the outward blocking is to protect Virgin from getting blacklisted for originating spam, but other than that nothing is done to prevent it getting through to customers.And by blocking us reporting them to the very address set up for that purpose is  plainly ridiculous.

I report ALL spam and phishing attempts and go to great trouble to find where to report them. ONLY Virgin blocks forwarded reports. This seems crazy.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Wise owl
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Why even bother reporting phishing spam ... nobody does anything about it, nobody cares and any reports just get filed in the electronic waste bin.  It's a fact of modern internet life, get used to it and deal with it yourself with appropriate safeguards.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Tudor
Superstar
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I believe the forwarding function only blocks them when VM already know of that type of spam. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello aderussell,

I am sorry you have received these emails, you can report them here: virg.in/reportspamvirg.in/reportspam

Thanks Joe_F

0 Kudos
aderussell
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Reporting does work if done the right way. I report all to Spamcop. If a lot of reports are from a particular ISP they put that ISP on a blacklist. Any other ISP can use that list to actively block ANY email from that ISP till they deal with the spam. I know it works because a few years ago nobody could get emails from Virgin customers as Virgin were blacklisted. That was when Virgin put in stringent measures.

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@aderussell wrote:

Reporting does work if done the right way. I report all to Spamcop. If a lot of reports are from a particular ISP they put that ISP on a blacklist. Any other ISP can use that list to actively block ANY email from that ISP till they deal with the spam. I know it works because a few years ago nobody could get emails from Virgin customers as Virgin were blacklisted. That was when Virgin put in stringent measures.

The issue being that you can literally send email claiming to be from literally anyone, i could send you an email claiming to be from richard branson with the from address even showing a perfectly valid email that i don't have access to, as such spam cannot really be dealt with, the ancient email system is built upon blind trust that the email is coming from where it claims to come from, there is nothing VM can actually do about 99% of spam as it doesn't actually originate from users but instead from harvesting data breaches that are already out in the wild, there is no solution to spam outside of education, teaching people to use their brains before clicking on things etc