Menu
mikeat63
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Possibly spoof email per Virgin Media

I've just taken Virgin internet service, and have now received an email purporting to come from Virgin, but with the originating address 'dwprkr@mta.ca'.  The only text in the body of the message is 'aaa'.  Any thoughts please as to whehter or not this is genuinely from Virgin, and if not what sort of phisihing attempt it might be?  I can't find on the website an address to report this to.

Thanks in anticipation.

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Possibly spoof email per Virgin Media

The domain name mta.ca is for a university in Canada, it's likely their systems are compromised or a faculty members email account has been and is being used to send email, since there is only "aaa" in the email it can't be a phishing attempt, it might be worth checking if there's an invisible image in the email at all, those are sometimes used to make the mail client load it from the spammers domain so that it can track if you opened the mail, letting them know that your account is in active use by you and worth spamming.

Other than that, you can safely ignore it.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi mikeat63,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear you've received an unwanted email. It certainly sounds like DreamOfCheese is on the right lines, but you're welcome to report this to us as well.

Phishing emails would usually look genuine and require you to log in or enter details somewhere. There's plenty of information regarding phishing and protecting yourself here.

If you have received a phishing email purporting to be from Virgin Media, please forward it to phishing@virginmedia.com. If you receive a ‘Spam Content Found’ error when forwarding a suspected phishing email to us via Webmail, then we are already aware of the email and have taken steps to ensure the email is blocked on our platform.

There are also a number or tips for reporting and dealing with spam mail on this forum post.

Thanks,

Rachael

Highlighted
coenoby
Well-informed
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@mikeat63 wrote:

Any thoughts please as to whehter or not this is genuinely from Virgin, and if not what sort of phisihing attempt it might be? 

Definitely not genuine. Spammers and scammers do not always get it right when they set up a new spam or scam project and this could be a case where their software failed to insert the intended message into the body of the email.

Alternatively it could just be a test message as intimated by DreamOfCheese.

I can't find on the website an address to report this to.

VM do have an email address where you can forward phishing attempts that purport to come from VM

phishing@virginmedia.com.

However, the best thing to do is simply delete it and move on.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer