cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible scam message

ChrisB78
On our wavelength

I just received an email on a non virgin related email, it appears to be from the Virgin Media Community, but the message says 'someone from virgin media community has contacted you about.... etc'

Why would it say 'Someone' rather than a username? And when I get here, not using the link in the email, I find no message from 'Someone'

Any clues anyone?

12 REPLIES 12

ChrisB78
On our wavelength

Yes the email telling me I have a msge appears to be from VM community, it probably is in view of Grahams input, but you know scammers get increasingly clever dont they so I'm usually wary of anything that seems a bit off kilter.

Just seems kind of odd that a msge would come thru to remind me I've received a msge I read and responded to a week earlier, followed by a number of other communications, but if that's how VM do it, then that's how it is.  I am satisfied no harm has been done, thankyou for your help in the matter.

Personally, I think VM may want to think about whether a notification for a message that has already been answered needs sending.

best rgds

ChrisB78 🙂

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ChrisB78  As you say always worth being cautious as the spammers are getting more sophisticated.

I believe that the purpose of the seven day later notification is partly to ensure that the poster is aware that their thread has been replied to but more so to encourage the marking of posts as helpful if the query has been resolved by the community.

I have to say that I find them irritating as when I do post a query I will certainly have checked for a response well before a week has passed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ChrisB78
On our wavelength

Hi Graham,  I made it look more complicated than it actually was, the email appears to have come from VM community, but who would be sending a msge without an ID on it if it's legitimate, was my thought.  Anyway, I am satisfied from your explanation that the msge is autogenerated by VM and I can simply ignore it.  I do question why VM has no facility to let the system know when a msge has been responded to and doesnt need a new reminder a week later. This caused my confusion, I'd already responded to a number of msges from the individual who gave an answer to the original query.

Ok so it's all good and done with.

Thanks again for your help and best rgds

ChrisB78