cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible scam message

ChrisB78
On our wavelength

I just received an email on a non virgin related email, it appears to be from the Virgin Media Community, but the message says 'someone from virgin media community has contacted you about.... etc'

Why would it say 'Someone' rather than a username? And when I get here, not using the link in the email, I find no message from 'Someone'

Any clues anyone?

12 REPLIES 12

goslow
Alessandro Volta

A week ago, you posted a query about an Amazon voucher and one of the forum team replied via a private message using the forum private messaging system.

You might get a (genuine) email notification that you have a private message waiting on the forum if you have email notifications enabled but this would come from a genuine virginmedia.co.uk email address and it would also mention the name of the forum team member who sent you the message in the 'subject' line. This would come through on the email address you have set up on the forum.

Have you read that private message from last week (via the purple envelope icon, top RHS of the forum page when you are logged in)?

Your description of the email message otherwise does sound suspicious.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ChrisB78 

The Community Forum software automatically sends an email of the nature you describe seven days after a response has been posted to any query you raise on the forum.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ChrisB78
On our wavelength

Hi Goslow, yes I have had a number of communications regarding my initial enquiry about the non appearing Amazon vouchers, they have the name of a forum member on them.  

The new email came last night in the early hours, but with no username on it, claiming there is a new msge in my account, but there wasn't.

So it fits the description of suspect, where do I take this issue?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

My reply crossed with you last post.  The message is genuine and automatically generated by the Forum software.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

ChrisB78
On our wavelength

thanks Graham, I could understand that as a principle if I hadnt received notifications from the person who responded to my initial enquiry. 

ChrisB78
On our wavelength

Ok Graham, yes msges crossed en route. I'll accept your information and thank you for your input

rgds

ChrisB78

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@ChrisB78 wrote:

Ok Graham, yes msges crossed en route. I'll accept your information and thank you for your input

Not one I've come across before. Out of interest, if the email came from a non-Virgin email address what was the suffix/domain of the sending address (just the bit after the @, don't post the whole address). Everything I get from VM either comes from virginmedia.com or virginmedia.co.uk and forum-related is the latter.

Edit: Re-reading #1, I see you meant you received the message on a non-VM email address. My mis-read.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@goslow wrote:

@ChrisB78 wrote:

Not one I've come across before. Out of interest, if the email came from a non-Virgin email address what was the suffix/domain of the sending address (just the bit after the @, don't post the whole address). Everything I get from VM either comes from virginmedia.com or virginmedia.co.uk and forum-related is the latter.

If I recall correctly the notification email comes from Virgin Media Community Support <VirginMediaCommunitySupport@virginmedia.co.uk> .  I have deleted the ones I have received in the past so cannot quote the exact text.

The op said the notification came to a non virgin email rather than being sent from a non Virgin email address.  The notification should be sent to the same email address as that registered for the Community account.

So if the email was received on an email address not registered to the community account then it probable is suspect.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Yep, your reply crossed with my edit! Mis-read on my part.