Menu
SueWaterall
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Please help me delete NTL world account - it is hacked and I am intimidated by the hacker.

I would like help closing down my ntlworld email account please.  It has been hacked since the start of the year and I get dozens of random/threatening emails a day telling me 'they' are watching me and looking at my photos and tons of other stuff.  I have rang VirginMedia 3 times now and each time was on the phone for an hour with no conclusion!  Like many on here, the account was set up many years ago with my now ex-husband.  The last VM employee told me I would have to ask his permission to close my account!  How ridiculous!  I am desperate to close this account. I am intimidated by the constant flow of abusive emails.  Virgin Media - do the decent thing and please help. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Please help me delete NTL world account - it is hacked and I am intimidated by the hacker.

Hi SueWaterall,

sorry to hear that, this is not the experience we want you to have with us. 

We are unable top delete this without speaking to the account holder and passing data protection. 

We recommend contacting the account holder and they will be able to contact us to get this deleted

Kind regards 

Chris 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Please help me delete NTL world account - it is hacked and I am intimidated by the hacker.

The first thing to say is that the emails claiming that they are watching you and so on are fake.  These scum are trying to frighten you into engaging with them at which point they will attempt to obtain money from you.

So, try and be assured that they are unlikely to have the access they claim.

As to the ownership of the email address, that is a different matter.  As the address was set up under your ex husband's account he is the 'legal' owner and VM would need his permission to close the account.  I understand that this sounds unhelpful but unfortunately it is true.

One option would be to stop checking the email address and it should be suspended after 90 days and deleted after a further 50 days of no access.

If your ex husband no longer has a virgin media broadband account to which this email address is linked then it should be deleted after 90 days.  However, this process does not seem to be robust.  Unfortunately, under data protection rules,  only your ex could ask for this deletion to be escalated.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If you can still sign in to Virgin Media Webmail, then go to the settings page.  Arrange auto-forwarding to HIS email address (or HIS mother or someone he cares about - you get my drift).  He will soon contact Virgin to get it closed down.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
Ntlworld12
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

"One option would be to stop checking the email address and it should be suspended after 90 days and deleted after a further 50 days of no access."

Utter piffle. If that was the case why do my accounts keep getting locked and letters received from the Internet Security Team stating that an account that was deleted several years ago is sending spam. 4 promises over the course of a year from the wonderful tech support people that the matter would be sorted have resulted in another letter received yesterday and blocking of my accounts. What a waste of money / time.

I'm just steeling myself for another long call just to get access. Sky is looking better and better.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have replied to your other post 🙂

Thanks Joe_F

0 Kudos