cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planed maintenance- how long? Starting when?

KingEH16
Joining in

I work from home and have important client calls most afternoons. VM has just told me that tomorrow there will be maintenance carried out in my area but I helpfully, have not what time tomorrow this will start, when it will be rectified or even whether service will be returned tomorrow. 

As there’s no other way to contact customer services, (you can’t reply to the VM text message sent) here I am again hoping that someone from VM is watching these boards. It doesn’t sound like a good way for me to run a business but I guess it’s ok for VM to cut off broadband supply indefinitely and without a 4G or 5G workaround that would mean that I don’t now need to spend tomorrow 60 miles away from my home where I can use dependable broadband.

so:

1. When will the work start?

2. How long will it take?

3. Will it definitely be back on within 24hrs, or do I need to stay away from home overnight?

4. And will VM be paying for my fuel costs to get to a place where I can actually work tomorrow?

postcode is EH16 in Edinburgh

5 REPLIES 5

goslow
Alessandro Volta

On the last letter I got about planned works (June 2021 notification of July 2021 works) it gave the day and an end time when the work should be completed.

It also gave a number 0800 052 2137 (from 07:30 to 17:00 Mon to Fri exc Bank hol) for the 'Planned Outage Team'. The number could, however, be as useful as VM's other means of phone contact but you could give it a try.

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you are using a residential service for business you don't get any of the business guarantees, when I had the same message a few weeks ago I did not notice any down time but this is no guarantee that you will have the same experience 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The 1Gb cabinet equipment upgrades usually take place between 9am & 4pm. It depends where you are in the local network segment as to when your service returns. Closest cabinets to the fibre nodes come back first, then those further away.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

If you can get a good 4G signal then buy a data-only 4G SIM card on a one-month contract (prices range from about £12 to £45 depending on network provider and data allowance) and a MiFi router to create a WiFi hotspot for your phones, laptop, etc

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @KingEH16 thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

I am sorry to hear of any inconvenience the planned outage may have caused. I am sorry, as already advised, we would not be refunded fuel costs on a residential account.

Regards

Lee_R