cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Call from Virgin

kazerp
Tuning in

Just had a call that supposedly came from Virgin from 0800 183 xxxx stating that my modem/router needs changing.  When I ask why does it need replacing when I have no issues with my current one, got told because it does.  I asked if this is legimate, then write to me by post.

I suspect if this is legitimate, as we are out of contract, it is to get me to agree to a new contract.

Will see if anything does arrive in the post.

Came from a foreign call centre.

[MOD EDIT: number edited in case it's an innocent number being spoofed]

3 REPLIES 3

kazerp
Tuning in

Edited my message but not confirmed if the number was genuine - not helpful!

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@kazerp wrote:

had a call that supposedly came from Virgin from 0800 183 xxxx stating that my modem/router needs changing.

You were right to be suspicious. I cannot say it definitely was not VM but in my experience they don't make phone calls like that. I would have thought they would write to you.

"Edited my message but not confirmed if the number was genuine - not helpful!"

Actually it does not matter whether the number is genuine or not. Even if it is a genuine VM number it does not mean that it was VM that called you. 😉

Just to explain the reason for that. Scammers always spoof (Fake) the number they appear to call from. Years ago, they simply made up numbers but increasingly they using numbers that belong to genuine subscribers.  As a result, many completely innocent individuals and companies have received abusive phone calls from people who mistakenly believe they are talking to someone who is responsible for the scam calls.

Because of that the forum moderators have adopted a policy of not allowing phone numbers to be published on the open forum.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi kazerp,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community!

Sorry about any issues caused.

From checking our service I can't see any calls from our outbound team to yourself meaning that would be a scam call.

We have a helpful link for calls such as this.

Hope this helps,

Kain