Menu
Catlady2
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Phishing re router

I am afraid that I had some very plausible calls concerning this and did engage with them. It turns out they had my name, address, , VM a/c No, DOB, Bank Sort Code and Account number. Following running a test for speed, they said I was due a refund of £404 and I only disengaged when they asked me to open my Bank Account. I must admit that my internet speed isn't always very fast so this helped their efforts. Would it be a good idea for VM to have a warning box on their Homepage stating that they would never contact users in this way?

0 Kudos
goslow
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phishing re router

@Catlady2 wrote:

I am afraid that I had some very plausible calls concerning this and did engage with them. It turns out they had my name, address, , VM a/c No, DOB, Bank Sort Code and Account number. Following running a test for speed, they said I was due a refund of £404 and I only disengaged when they asked me to open my Bank Account. I must admit that my internet speed isn't always very fast so this helped their efforts. Would it be a good idea for VM to have a warning box on their Homepage stating that they would never contact users in this way?

Did you download any remote access software and allow the scammers to take remote control of your computer at any point during this process?

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @Catlady2

Welcome to our Community and thanks so much for your first post; I was sorry to understand that you have been contacted by a call scammer recently; they have been getting more common since the pandemic. 

We assure you that we would never contact someone in this way and would never ask you to open your bank account. Refunds are only added to your Virgin Media account or are sent out via Cheque Refund. 

This type of call is called Vishing - it's when the caller pretends to be your bank or IPS provider or similar. We have some helpful pages to explain this in a bit more detail and what sort of precautions you can take to avoid this happening again. 

Fraudulent Calls

What is Vishing?

What is number Spoofing?

If you do have the number they called on, we would always encourage you to report it to Action Fraud. The link can be located on the links above 🙂 

Please do have a read of the links and be sure to run the virus scan and ensure any software that may have been installed; full instructions are provided on the links above. 

If you would also like us to update or change your memorable word to your account then let us know - we can send you a secure private message and can assist you directly. If you wish to check the authenticity of who I am, please do take a look at our Good Folk to Know section where you will find a list of verified staff

Please do not hesitate to get back in touch if you need any further assistance

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Catlady2
Joining in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I may have given them remote access. I got so confused as they had all of my personal details, including for my bank account. My details were obviously included in the data breach although I haven’t been contacted by VM!!

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @Catlady2

If your details we're included in the data breach from last year, you would have been contacted at the time. Please also note that the breach did not include any banking information or passwords. You can read more about last years incident here

if you feel that you may have given them access to your computer, please follow the steps outlined on the links in my previous post - they have step by step guides on how to remove the software. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

goslow
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@Catlady2 wrote:

I may have given them remote access. I got so confused as they had all of my personal details, including for my bank account. My details were obviously included in the data breach although I haven’t been contacted by VM!!

The scammers' aims are to generate confusion and uncertainty which, in turn, allows them to carry out their scam. Unfortunately, they are very good at this.

The following is some general advice on things you should consider. You will need to see how it applies to your situation and what took place during your interaction with the scammers. Then you will need to decide what do do next.

You have listed a lot of personal and important information which the scammers already appear to have had access to. I would suggest you need urgently to start putting in place some measures to mitigate against possible harm from the scammer's call.

Have you spoken to your bank(s) yet and alerted them to what has happened? They may be able to put in place some extra safeguards on your account once they are aware of the scam attempt.

Secondly, report the matter to Action Fraud.

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/contact-us

They should be able to give you further information and advice and should issue you with a crime number which may be useful if the need arises.

Thirdly, if you allowed the scammers remote access to your computer, then it is possible that remote access software could still be in place. It would be advisable not to use that device online until you can be sure there is no longer any remote access software in place. If you are not sure about doing this yourself, then seek the advice of a trusted local computer shop or trusted local computer technician. It may be that they suggest wiping the device and reloading its software to guarantee no hidden malware is left on it.

Finally, given the amount of information you mention that the scammers already knew about you, you may be at risk of identity fraud. There is an article below from Action Fraud which explains the risks

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/a-z-of-fraud/identity-fraud-and-identity-theft

Depending on how much online activity you do, you should also start a process of changing your passwords to your online accounts. These should be secure and unique for each site/service you use. Avoid using the same password across different sites. Start with the most important ones such as email accounts, key shopping sites, any social media etc. then work your way through to less important ones.

There is also some useful general advice from Citizens Advice here on what to do after a scam attempt

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/scams/what-to-do-if-youve-been-scammed/

All of the above may sound a bit daunting. Do you have a trusted friend or family member you can turn to, to help you with this? They may be able to help in the process and offer further suggestions on what you need to do which are specific to you and your circumstances.

0 Kudos
Catlady2
Joining in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I am afraid that my laptop seems to have been taken over before I had a chance to run a security scan. I have Norton 360 so hope that will help  I just get a blank screen. My bank account has been locked so they shouldn’t be able to access that. I managed to delete my credit card details from my Amazon account. The software person I hoped to help no longer trades so I will have to ask around to find someone else. Am a bit desolate and feel so very stupid as I have always been sceptical about people who have been scammed!!

0 Kudos
Hayley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I am sorry that you had to go through that @Catlady2.

Being scammed is not a nice feeling, but it happens to the best of us time to time.

You have done the right steps after this has happened, I hope everything is okay.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

0 Kudos
goslow
Trouble shooter
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@Catlady2 wrote:

I am afraid that my laptop seems to have been taken over before I had a chance to run a security scan. I have Norton 360 so hope that will help  I just get a blank screen. My bank account has been locked so they shouldn’t be able to access that. I managed to delete my credit card details from my Amazon account. The software person I hoped to help no longer trades so I will have to ask around to find someone else. Am a bit desolate and feel so very stupid as I have always been sceptical about people who have been scammed!!

Sorry to hear this. I'd suggest that you find someone trusted and reliable, and with the necessary technical expertise, to look at your laptop and find out what has been done to it by the scammers. If you are not sure how to do this yourself, further DIY attempts to fix it might possibly reduce the chances of how much of your personal data can be recovered from the device, depending on what exactly the scammers have done.

If your bank has locked your accounts that should help prevent further harm or loss from there. Your next steps should be to close down any further avenues which the scammers might be able to exploit, as mentioned in the links above at message #6. Priorities should be changing any passwords and security questions on your email and other online accounts to new ones which are complex and secure and unique to each service.

Use the Action Fraud link above for information on protecting your identity and checking that your personal details are not being used to commit other types of fraud.

I hope you are able to get the situation resolved without too many more problems.

0 Kudos
Catlady2
Joining in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I will try to sort something out on Monday. However, I don’t know how to change passwords without the laptop 

0 Kudos