cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phishing Phone Call Claiming from Virgin Media

stephm1964
Joining in

Same scam today from number removed Numbers will change as these are artificially created.

Very polite and ‘professional’ at first but clearly a scam as none of the Virgin requests for security information. He started his spiel about intermittent internet speeds and how it could be improved. Aware that it was a scam call, I kept the conversation away from his focus, asked about him etc. He quickly became very abusive indeed as he was clearly riled until he hung up.

[MOD EDIT: Number has been removed from this post]

4 REPLIES 4

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @stephm1964,

Welcome to the community page, thank you for posting on here.

I am sorry to see that you have been called by a scammer.

Please click 'Here' for advice and tips on how to deal with fraudulent calls.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

whaleshark32
Joining in

Similar call this morning, no request for security info.  Very polite, stated system noted intermittent faults between network and router.  I replied I had no such problems and was closing the call as I believed it was a scam.

My question is how do they know my landline is linked to a Virgin Media account?  

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@whaleshark32 wrote:

Similar call this morning, no request for security info.  Very polite, stated system noted intermittent faults between network and router.  I replied I had no such problems and was closing the call as I believed it was a scam.

My question is how do they know my landline is linked to a Virgin Media account?  

They don't know for certain.  They make a calculated guess based on the tables published by Ofcom which show what number ranges are assigned to each teleco.

Of course this falls down if you have ported a number from one provider to another.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Many Thanks Graham.

OMG, could we make it any easier for them?