cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old VirginMedia email Inbox is compromised

kjhespana23
Tuning in

I have had a Virginmedia.com email address for many years, but I am no longer a customer. I am unable to log in to my email account online. I do receive the emails on my Mail client and I can see that my inbox is compromised and spam is being sent from it. As a precaution I have disabled it on my mail client for now. I want to do two things, login to see any emails where I need to update my details to a  current email address, and also I need assistance to secure my account. Once I have dealt with this, I can probably just close down the email account completely. Can anyone help with this? Thanks in advance. 

14 REPLIES 14

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you tried resetting the password via this link Forgotten your Password? | Reset Here | Virgin Media?

If you think you email account has been compromised then follow the advice here: My Virgin media email has been hacked | Virgin Media Help

Is the email account linked to an active Virgin Media broadband account or has it been less than 90 days since it was terminated?

FWIW do consider migrating your email needs over to a new email provider to, likely, benefit from:

• improved account security, i.e. multifactor authentication
  • improved spam filtering
  • better support
  • no longer having to fear loss of email account when deciding on broadband service provider — Virgin Media email accounts are deleted 90 days after broadband service termination

I can't update my password, my account was hacked and I do not have access to it - I cannot log in - that's why I am posting here - Virginmedia lead me here - I need the email account blocked and to allow me access to it again - it is currently sending out extortion spam emails and it is also trying to gain access to accounts that are associated with my old Virginmedia email address - I have updated things where I can, but need this mailbox shut down ASAP. How do I get in touch with someone at Virginmedia who can help with this? I'm not in the UK, I have no TV or internet account with Virginmedia anymore so I can't log in or call them - I only have that old email address which until recently was fine. 

Hi @kjhespana23,

Thank you for your posts and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm very sorry to hear you're experiencing some issues with your email account and that your efforts to remedy the problem sadly haven't helped. So that we can take a closer look at what's going on and assist you further, I'm going to send you a private message in a few moments.

Please respond to this when you can and we'll proceed from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @kjhespana23,

Thank you for getting back to me via private message so that we could take a closer look at how we could help you. I'm glad that we were able to address your concerns.

Please do let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

My concerns were not addressed, and you are leaving me wide open to more accounts being hacked using the compromised email address. Please escalate this and get that email account shut down before irreparable damage is done. 

It does not make sense as I said in other thread: once you leave VM your mailbox is closed after a short period of time which AFAIR is 30-90days (they give you this time to get another ISP and migrate/transfer mail etc).

This is the third such thread of this nature this week.

Third thread this week? Really?! It may be of interest that I actually terminated my VM contract over 2 1/2 years ago when I left the UK, however, I have continued to use my @virginmedia.com email address with no issues, right up until it was hacked a few days ago. 

Hi @kjhespana23 thanks for your reply.

We can see that you are communicating with a colleague Zach directly via PM try to get some further assistance with this for you - please continue to discuss things with them privately.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi Tom, thank you for your input. Actually, Zach was unable to assist me. Hence my additional comments on this thread. However, it appears VM security has finally shut down the compromised email. Without any actual confirmation from VM about what action has been taken to resolve the security issue, I'm only assuming that is the case 😊 As far as I'm concerned the matter is resolved, however, my comments may be of use to others experiencing similar issues.