cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ntlworld email account 'hacked'.

JBradfff80
Tuning in

Hi, posting in the off chance that somebody far knowledgeable than I am can offer words of wisdom.

During the past 4/5 days, we have been receiving emails (including the usual one regarding hacking your pc, we've watched you enjoy adult sites, we have your email and password etc), and also texts, where 'hacker' has been trying to reset passwords etc from various sites & apps.

Stupidly, our old Ntlworld account which is somewhat inactive had the corresponding password to whatever info they have gained. We haven't been customers of VM for coming up to 2 years, but the Ntlworld email account wasn't deleted after 90 days. Little did I know that the Wife has been using it for bits and bobs, including some online retailers. Quite recently too so we know that it was still useable up to yesterday.

I tried to change the password on VM site yesterday, but was unable to, due to not being a customer anymore.

Overnight, the password on the Ntlworld has either been changed by 'hacker' or deleted by VM which would seem a huge coincidence considering all of the emails / texts we've received from old accounts.

This morning there's been further attempts to change passwords etc on various sites but I'm now unable to access the Ntlworld account to see exactly what they're doing.

I've been in contact with VM customer services this morning who recommended changing the password??? How?! I'm not a customer anymore and can't log in. The lady on the phone also couldn't change the password. I want the old email account deleting ASAP and currently have a ticket. 

I'm wondering if a 'hacker' could change an old Ntlworld email account password even if VM are unable to?! 

If anybody is able to shed light on the matter, please?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JBradfff80 wrote:

1) "Unable to find your username".

2) Email has been active for around 21 months since leaving VM, and in use yesterday.

3) I could never log back in to VM site after 90 days using old account details but the email account remained active for some reason unknown?

Re 1) As I said, that means that VM have removed access to the webmail account but it seems the mailbox itself is still live. That would explain why the VM customer support person (like you ) was unable to change the password.

Re 2) Were you (or your wife) managing that email account via an email app (perhaps on a mobile) or an email client such as Microsoft Outlook or Mail? Apps and email clients effectively access the mailbox directly rather than via the VM Webmail service. That means that as long as the mailbox for that address still exists they can still pick up and send emails even though the webmail account for that address has ben deleted.

Re 3)  By "VM site"  do you mean your "My Virgin Media" account where you can view your VM bills and contact? That is closed pretty much as soon as the broadband contract ends. The hacker / scammer will not have access to any details in there. VM email accounts are linked to the MYM account but are separate entities in their own right. Your Ntlworld email account is classed as an "orphan" account ie. one that is no longer attached to broadband account and as you have intimated should have been closed almost 2 years ago.

As a final check what currently happens if you send a test email to that ntlworld address? Do you get an non delivery error message back? If so the mailbox has now been deleted completely.

Personally, I would not hold my breath for a response re that customer services ticket. However, the Forum Team can check on that if you have the reference number.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JBradfff80 wrote:

If anybody is able to shed light on the matter, please

You could try resetting the password ourself from here https://my.virginmedia.com/forgot-details/password enter the ntlworld address as the username and follow the prompts. You don't have to be a VM customer to use this route to reset the password.

If you get the "Username not recognised" error message that means that VM have removed access to the webmail account even though it would seem the mailbox itself is still live. That's not unusual for VM email accounts that are more than 90 days old.

The real solution is to get that email account fully deleted so that it cannot be used by scammers. The Forum Team (VM employees who support this forum) can arrange to get that done for you. One of them will contact you via this thread in the next day or so.

Hope this helps.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Thank you for replying.

No joy with password resetter, I'll await further contact from VM via forum or outstanding ticket.

Thanks again.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JBradfff80 wrote:

No joy with password resetter,

So what error or message do you get when you try that link?

Coenoby

"Unable to find your username".

Email has been active for around 21 months since leaving VM, and in use yesterday.

I could never log back in to VM site after 90 days using old account details but the email account remained active for some reason unknown?

An awful lot of online accounts were transferred to our new email account but I dare say there'll be a few stragglers left behind with the potential to have matching account names and passwords. 

There shouldn't be any payment details or cards attached to any but it's still horrible to think someone could have access to personal details.

Cheers.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JBradfff80 wrote:

1) "Unable to find your username".

2) Email has been active for around 21 months since leaving VM, and in use yesterday.

3) I could never log back in to VM site after 90 days using old account details but the email account remained active for some reason unknown?

Re 1) As I said, that means that VM have removed access to the webmail account but it seems the mailbox itself is still live. That would explain why the VM customer support person (like you ) was unable to change the password.

Re 2) Were you (or your wife) managing that email account via an email app (perhaps on a mobile) or an email client such as Microsoft Outlook or Mail? Apps and email clients effectively access the mailbox directly rather than via the VM Webmail service. That means that as long as the mailbox for that address still exists they can still pick up and send emails even though the webmail account for that address has ben deleted.

Re 3)  By "VM site"  do you mean your "My Virgin Media" account where you can view your VM bills and contact? That is closed pretty much as soon as the broadband contract ends. The hacker / scammer will not have access to any details in there. VM email accounts are linked to the MYM account but are separate entities in their own right. Your Ntlworld email account is classed as an "orphan" account ie. one that is no longer attached to broadband account and as you have intimated should have been closed almost 2 years ago.

As a final check what currently happens if you send a test email to that ntlworld address? Do you get an non delivery error message back? If so the mailbox has now been deleted completely.

Personally, I would not hold my breath for a response re that customer services ticket. However, the Forum Team can check on that if you have the reference number.

Coenoby

I tried earlier to send an email to the Ntlworld email. That sent with no delivery error message returned so it seems that the mailbox is still active.

The address has only been managed from mobile email client rather than through MVM. 

The reference number/ticket is 9392450, if any member of the team could look in to it, that's be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time, mate.

Hi JBradfff80,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I'm sorry to hear the email address has been compromised, so I can help I'll need a few more details from you so I've sent you over a private message (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

baronshouse
Joining in

I would be really grateful if someone could help me - my ntlworld email has been hacked and i am getting nowhere with trying to contact virgin media as we too no longer have an account.  They have used it to hack my FB, Instagram and Uber and as soon as i am changing things they are changing them back and i can see them requesting new resets and moving emails (quite frightening really).  I have managed to secure my accounts however i need to access my Ntlworld email so that i can change this password and then i will probably stop using this for important stuff

I would be grateful if someone from Virgin media can contact me to help me resolve this issue.  

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@baronshouse wrote:

I would be really grateful if someone could help me - my ntlworld email has been hacked and i am getting nowhere with trying to contact virgin media as we too no longer have an account.

I would be grateful if someone from Virgin media can contact me to help me resolve this issue.  

If you are no longer a VM broadband customer all that the Forum Team (VM employees who support this forum) can do for you is to delete the ntlworld email account.

One of them will contact you via this forum thread in the next day or so.

Coenoby