cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Router?

andypat
On our wavelength

Just had a call from a guy called "Kevin from Virgin Media"  from a 01639 number saying they had been monitoring my router and found it was not sending correct signals so his manager had requested sending a new router. I asked him if it was because I had an old model and he said yes, then informed him I didn't and he hung up.

First time I've had this type of  call presumably scam. 

5 REPLIES 5

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Yes, 100% scam. VM do not make unsolicited tech support calls like this.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @andypat

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Indeed, one of our technicians would not call you from a number like this, stating the above. Thank you for remaining vigilant i'll be sure to feed this back.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

andypat
On our wavelength

Same call again

Different number  [Removed] with a female voice at half eight this morning saying she was from virgin and my internet was fluctuating!!

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @andypat,

I am sorry to see this, please do block these numbers.

We would not contact you regarding your internet unless you requested a call back.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@andypat wrote:

Same call again

Different number  020 8####### with a female voice at half eight this morning saying she was from virgin and my internet was fluctuating!!

You are likely to keep receiving scam calls like this and it is also likely to be from a different (fake) caller ID number for each new call.

You should avoid posting full phone numbers. It serves no useful purpose really. The number typically either does not exist or is increasingly a real number taken from an innocent party and used as a fake caller ID by the scammers.

As the numbers keep changing, blocking individual numbers is of little/no use. Have a look at a call screening device such as trueCall or the range of BT phones which have trueCall features build into them. These filter the calls and prevent the automated scam calls from ringing your home phone.