Menu
scottishjock
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Need some advice on email from VM[IMPORTANT] Virgin Media Alert: Your device may have a malware infection

I received the below letter via email from VM which looks real based on others reporting similar in here. It quoted my account number and appears to have been sent from internet-security@virginmedia.com 

Any advice on this - 1. is it real? 2. I use a Mac and various iphones & ipads get used in the house.  The mac has Bitdefender installed and I can try running Malwarebytes.

Subject: [IMPORTANT] Virgin Media Alert: Your device may have a malware infection

Your Virgin Media account number: XX - XXXXXXXXX

Our reference: VMIS5-MALWARE-F007256208

A device using your internet connection may be infected with malware

Dear Mr XXXX,

We’ve been alerted that one or more of the devices you use to go on the internet is infected with malicious software (malware).We don’t know which device, but it does mean your personal data and online financial transactions, including any credit card purchases, could be at risk.

This probably isn’t your fault, but we do need you to make some changes now to ensure your data remains safe and secure.We’ll help you do that.

How we found the problem

To protect our customers, we work with a number of not-for-profit organisations that gather information about internet connections that appear to be at risk of things like malware infections. On 13 July 2019, one detected that caphaw , a piece of malware, was present on a device using your internet connection.

What to do next

We recommend using anti-virus software to scan and clean up your devices. There are a number of trusted anti-virus software options available if you don’t have one already.

For help with this, please visit virginmedia.com/malware

As well as using anti-virus software, Web Safe is available for free to Virgin Fibre customers to help protect you against malware and viruses. Full details can be found by signing in to Your Account at virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia and going to My Apps.

More help and support

For extra advice, or to double-check that this is a genuine Virgin Media communication, head to our community at virginmedia.com/community, click 'Help forum' and join the conversation on the Security Matters board.

Kind regards,
The Virgin Media team

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Need some advice on email from VM[IMPORTANT] Virgin Media Alert: Your device may have a malware infec

@scottishjock wrote:

I received the below letter via email from VM which looks real based on others reporting similar in here. It quoted my account number and appears to have been sent from internet-security@virginmedia.com 

Any advice on this - 1. is it real? 2. I use a Mac and various iphones & ipads get used in the house.  The mac has Bitdefender installed and I can try running Malwarebytes.

Wait for a forum team member to confirm its authenticity but AFAICS it is similar to previously quoted ones in the forum; also it lack the usual markers associated with miscreants, for instance it is a letter, lacks time constraint and/or dire consequence.

AFAIK the malware, caphaw, targets Windows so unless such a device or virtual device was connected to your network on that day it is likely a false positive.

scottishjock
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Need some advice on email from VM[IMPORTANT] Virgin Media Alert: Your device may have a malware infec

thanks i appreciate the time you have taken to reply.

I had a search re caphaw and could only find info in relation to windows. We are a Mac household for better or worse so all seems very strange.

I will wait for a VM forum team member to pitch in

thanks

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@ModTeam@scottishjock is still waiting for confirmation of authenticity of malware notice.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Need some advice on email from VM[IMPORTANT] Virgin Media Alert: Your device may have a malwa...

Hi scottishjock, thanks for your post. 

Sorry for the delay with this - but I've just double-checked & can confirm this will be a genuine notice from us, and we would recommend following the information within the link.

Thanks for the nudge @用心棒

Tom