cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My virgin.net account has been hacked today (6-Apr-23). Can someone help sort out the mess, please?

RobertESmith
Joining in

As stated in the subject line, my very long-standing virgin.net account has been hacked today (6-Apr-23). Hackers have already sent out numerous spurious email messages in my name. What do I need to do? Can someone help sort out the mess, please?

Robert E Smith

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@RobertESmith wrote:

What do I need to do? Can someone help sort out the mess, please?

The big question is whether or not you have a Virgin Media Broadband contract.

If you have a VM BB contract one of the Forum Team (VM staff members who support this forum) are best placed to help you. However if you do not haver a VM BB contract then all they can do is to get the hacked email account fully deleted.

While you are waiting for one of the team to contact you via this thread (and since we are in the long holiday weekend, that could take a while) you could try resetting the password yourself:

1) If you know the password try resetting it by signing in to the *My Virgin Media" account for that email address from this link https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  using your virgin.net email address and existing password. 

Once you have signed in click on the "Account settings" tab and then the "Account details" tab. Scroll down that page and you will see a place to edit the password.

Or

2)  If you do not know the password or option 1) does not work you could try using the Forgotten Password process by entering the virgin.net email address here https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password  However, that relies on the password recovery question and answer being set up in the My Virgin Media account and I suspect that has not happened for your old account. If that is the case you  may find the screen does not move on after you enter the answer to you security question or it comes up with an error message.

However, the main thing is that you need to be aware that if your Virgin.net email account is not linked to a live VM BB account it could be deleted by VM at any time.

That applies whether the email account was originally issued as part of the original Virgin dial up internet service that was closed in 2013 or issued as part of Virgin's ADSL (non fibre) broadband service that Virgin Media sold to TalkTalk in 2014.

Hopefully, this Virgin.net account is not your main email account but if it is you need to set up a new email account as soon as possible.

One of the Forum Team will contact you via this thread in a few days and check out the situation.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@RobertESmith wrote:

What do I need to do? Can someone help sort out the mess, please?

The big question is whether or not you have a Virgin Media Broadband contract.

If you have a VM BB contract one of the Forum Team (VM staff members who support this forum) are best placed to help you. However if you do not haver a VM BB contract then all they can do is to get the hacked email account fully deleted.

While you are waiting for one of the team to contact you via this thread (and since we are in the long holiday weekend, that could take a while) you could try resetting the password yourself:

1) If you know the password try resetting it by signing in to the *My Virgin Media" account for that email address from this link https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  using your virgin.net email address and existing password. 

Once you have signed in click on the "Account settings" tab and then the "Account details" tab. Scroll down that page and you will see a place to edit the password.

Or

2)  If you do not know the password or option 1) does not work you could try using the Forgotten Password process by entering the virgin.net email address here https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password  However, that relies on the password recovery question and answer being set up in the My Virgin Media account and I suspect that has not happened for your old account. If that is the case you  may find the screen does not move on after you enter the answer to you security question or it comes up with an error message.

However, the main thing is that you need to be aware that if your Virgin.net email account is not linked to a live VM BB account it could be deleted by VM at any time.

That applies whether the email account was originally issued as part of the original Virgin dial up internet service that was closed in 2013 or issued as part of Virgin's ADSL (non fibre) broadband service that Virgin Media sold to TalkTalk in 2014.

Hopefully, this Virgin.net account is not your main email account but if it is you need to set up a new email account as soon as possible.

One of the Forum Team will contact you via this thread in a few days and check out the situation.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @RobertESmith,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our forums 🌞

I am so sorry to hear you have been having issues with your email, I will take a look at this for you, via PM Keep an eye out for the little envelope 📩

If you are no longer a Virgin Media customer, please be aware we will delete the account.

Thanks,

Zoie

Thank you for replying, Zoie. I confirm that I am indeed a current Virgin Media cable television and broadband customer, although my email address [MOD EDIT: PERSONAL INFORMATION REMOVED] may not have been associated with that (because it pre-dates it). I cannot give you my customer number at present because I do not have it to hand where I currently am, but I will be able to do so by next Wednesday, 12 April.

Regards,

Robert E Smith.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

Dear Coenoby,

Thank you very much for your helpful and extensive remarks. A member of the Virgin Media team (Zoie P) has now contacted me. I am in fact a Virgin Broadband customer, although I don't think my virgin.net email address is at present linked to that, since the email predates the broadband by a considerable number of years. However, hopefully all will be well.

Best wishes,

Robert E Smith

I would edit out your e-mail address as it will get scraped by a bot and get bombarded with spam.