cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My email has been hacked

E_Yorke
Joining in

So last week I woke up and when I went to check my email I was logged out, which was unusual.

I reset my email password so I could log in as I couldn't remember it.  When I checked my emails, there was one requesting a Dropbox password reset, which I hadn't requested. Upon further investigation lots of people had their dropbox account hacked as well as their email. 

I deleted my Dropbox account and I thought I was ok. Until today I've checked my email and received a delivery fail for a few emails I didn't send. I have checked my bin and have discovered a handful of scam emails that I did not send. 

These are what the messages say:

Dear  (I've deleted the name)

Our business has looked through your application and our HR team would like to give you a chance to apply for a opportunity.

HLPC Finance, LLC  is a stable and quickly developing business studied your resume and would like to offer you a home-based vacancy as Customer Service Representative.

I bring you here some of the job duties: * Provide service to both prospective and existing customers * Establish and support effective business connections with customers * Creating an environment of good customer service through ensuring client transactions are processed properly and efficiently
* Ensures that all transactions are processed in accordance to policy and procedure as well as in a timely manner
* Processes transfers and currency orders
* Completes and submits reports to Accounting Department.

Salary: 3,500.00 dollars per month plus additional bonuses

If you would like to proceed with this job opening then please feel free to contact us st this e-mail.

Yours truly,
Anemashaun Schwentner
HR Executive

This is the scammers email address:

anemashaun.schwentner53@audrianaduncan.xyz

I have changed my email password again, but I don't know what else to do. 

-Emma

7 REPLIES 7

Sololobo
Superstar

Follow the instructions provided here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-account-has-been-hacked

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

Thank you for your help!

I've done all that has been advised on your link. 

However I now have a new problem, and I don't know if this is something the hackers have done. 

I don't know how this is happening but when I use my new password for my email account, that password is also added as a folder in my account. 

So whatever my password is, its used as a name for a folder. 

I forgot to add, I'm not resetting my passwords to anything obvious either. The only places I'm using my email is on my phone and on my Mac. 

At first I thought logging into my mail app on my mac was somehow creating a folder as well. 

I've checked my settings on my Virgin media email and there are no signature changes and the auto forward isnt on. And i've ran a deep scan on my Mac and phone (No Malware has been detected) 

I've changed my password again today, I've logged into my Mac and my phone and so far no new folders have showed up. 

I just don't understand how my password also became a folder in my email account in the first place. 

Phoenix_RiSing7
Joining in

I got the same email. Im going to attach it and disclude the names used.

Good day (First, Last Name),

Our company has come across your CV and our HR Dept would like to invite you to apply for a position as Customer Service Representative.

HLPC Finance, LLC is a stable and quickly developing business studied your resume and would like to offer you a home-based position.

Duties contain:
 * Provide service to both new and current clients
 * Create and maintain effective business connections with customers
 * Making an environment of good customer service through ensuring client transactions are processed correctly and efficiently
 * Guarantee that all transactions are done in conformity to policy and procedure as well as in due course
 * Processes transfers and currency orders
 * Completes and submits reports to Accounting Department.

Salary: 3,500.00 dollars per month plus additional commission

If you would like to learn more about this job opening then please do not hesitate to contact us at this e-mail.

Yours truly,
Vanna Akinlusi

Hi @Phoenix_RiSing7

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Have you already followed the instructions on the page here ?

I will feed this back to the team also.

Regards 

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hello. Yes, I have followed the instructions. I try to remember to scan through my emails to weed out spam and potential scammers. I’ve had my same email for about 9 years now. I’m writing down the only sites or businesses I deal with the most and updating my email to something else and gradually transferring from my original email to where I can delete the account.

Hi @Phoenix_RiSing7, thanks for your reply.

That's great you've followed the instructions, that'll make sure the fraudulent email received will have minimal impact.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance though and we'll do our best to support you!
Many thanks

Tom_W