Menu
Highlighted
Strummer61
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 42
Flag for a moderator

My account has been “PWNED”, Password breached. How can I DELETE my Virgin email address????

I stopped using my Blueyonder email when Virgin switched to their own dreadful system.  I still monitor it though.   I receive a lot of SPAM on it.

I just received an email from my own address, quoting my Password & demanding Bitcoin.

I searched how to report it & was pointed to an address for ActionFraud 

NFIBPhishing@city-of-london.pnn.police.uk

So I try to forward the email.......Virgin doesn’t let me, because “it contains SPAM”

No **bleep** Sherlock!   You couldn’t make it up.

I then read about a website www.haveibeenpwned.com & find that my Virgin address has been “PWNED”.

The site tells me it’s been PWNED 4 times, including one just days ago.

Given that I haven’t used my Virgin address for anything for several years, they must have hacked the Virgin server.

I will cancel Virgin as soon as my contract is up, but I would like to know if I can delete the Email Address now?

thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Re: My account has been “PWNED”, Password breached. How can I DELETE my Virgin email address????

it wont be the virgin server. it will be a site you used the address son in the paste. It haveibeenpwned.com tells you the breach that it was included in. The address alone isn't proof it was VM system. Look at the sites that have been hacked on the site not the email address alone.

0 Kudos
Strummer61
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Re: My account has been “PWNED”, Password breached. How can I DELETE my Virgin email address????

NOW I CAN’T EVEN LOG INTO MY VM ACCOUNT.

SOMETHING IS GOING ON!!!!!!

I’m hanging on the phone to VM.  Getting nowhere.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Hi Strummer61,

Very sorry to hear about this,

Have you spoken to the team and got this all resolved since your last post?

If you haven't, please let us know and we will be more than happy to look into this further for you.

Thanks

Lindsey_C

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 42
Flag for a moderator

@Lindsey_C 

Could you please raise the issue of the user not being able to forward the spam to the Action Fraud address with the email team.

Virgin are supposed to allow sending of spam to reporting addresses.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

coenoby
Well-informed
Message 6 of 42
Flag for a moderator

@Strummer61 wrote:

Given that I haven’t used my Virgin address for anything for several years, they must have hacked the Virgin server

In fact haveibeenpwned tells you where the data breach occurred. You have to sign up to the site but it's worth doing.

As has already said, if it is on haveibeenpwned then it will have come from a website or online account that you used in the past. For example an email address of mine was leaked from my Dropbox account in 2012.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Strummer61
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lindsey_C

I couldn’t send the offending email from Blueyonder, so I copy & pasted it and sent it from my Gmail address.

I spoke to Virgin & requested they delete my Blueyonder email address altogether, which they said they would do, but it’s still there.

Is there any way I can get it deleted?

thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Hi Strummer61,

Sorry to hear you've had issues getting your old account deleted, we can certainly look into this for you.

In order to do so, we'll have to clear account security. Obviously we would never ask for sensitive information via an open platform so we'll send you a private message to complete this. Please head to the purple envelope in the top right corner to respond.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
Strummer61
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 42
Flag for a moderator

In all the years we’ve endured the utter uselessness of Telewest/Virgin Media, the only way to get any common sense was to call “Customer Retentions”.

Well this morning we’ve spoken to Customer Retentions to try to get this Blueyonder email account deleted, only to be told it can’t be done!

Only way to do it is Close the account.

Account closed.  Good riddance Virgin Media!   

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Oh for pity's sake.

Please don't come on here and have a rant, it doesn't solve anything.  This is a community forum where we want to help.

I will say this.  Being as the Blueyonder email is apparently NOT linked to your current broadband account, (based on your previous post), how is closing down your broadband account going to affect the Blueyonder email?

I'm sure that if you take a second to think, you'll realise that it won't!

So regardless of whether or not you stay with Virgin Media - this problems not going to go away!

If you check at the top right of this page, you'll see a purple envelope - (It should have a 1 next to it).  Click the envelope and respond to the message that @Rachael_F apparently sent you.  She works for Virgin Media's Forum Team, and she can help get the old Blueyonder account deleted.

If you still want to live Virgin Media after that, then by all means feel free to do so, but lets get your problem dealt with properly.

Tim

@ModTeam Can I ask why retentions couldn't solve this?

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.