Menu
punkrock101
Up to speed
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

My Virgin Media password reset security risk

I found this security risk on the my Virgin Media site when i was reseting my password . you only have to know the persons email address, Mothers Maiden Name and date of birth to reset the password then you have access to the site.  you don't even get an email with password reset link like most other sites just an email telling you your password has been changed.    Also why is there no option to use a special character    on any of the passwords online with Virgin.   

0 Kudos
coenoby
Well-informed
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: My Virgin Media password reset security risk

@punkrock101 wrote:

you only have to know the persons email address, Mothers Maiden Name and date of birth to reset the password

That's why some of us always lie about our parentage and our age when it comes to our security questions.Smiley Wink

Coenoby

If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
punkrock101
Up to speed
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

You have to give the correct details to virgin unfortunately as they run credit and ID check on you.... I just find the my virgin media very unsecure In this respect
0 Kudos
coenoby
Well-informed
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@punkrock101 wrote:
You have to give the correct details to virgin unfortunately as they run credit and ID check on you.... I just find the my virgin media very unsecure In this respect

I doubt that they run that check using the information that you provide as answers to your Security Question. The answer to my VM security question regarding my mother's maiden name has always been...........imaginative shall we say.

One other point is that instead of 'Mother's Maiden Name?' you (VM Broadband customers at least) can choose to set the security question as:

Place of birth

Name of last school

Favourite song or band

Name of first pet

Favourite food.

Having said that a skilled hacker might well be able to have a pretty good crack at discovering those if you are a social media babbler.Smiley Wink

BTW. I am not defending VM security here. I do agree with your basic point. These days we should not be relying on passwords and security questions to gain access to our accounts.

Coenoby

If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer