Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Malware problem

Had 2 emails from vm to say a device using my router has iotmirai  malware and win32/protos walware on. After a bit of searching it says it was likely a nas device. I use iPhones and iPads and only nas devices are 2 smart TVs not connected to WiFi and a CCTV. On the dates it said it detected malware the only device that was on that was not active days before and since malware detected was the CCTV. Have not got a clue how to get rid of it or search for it seems as iPhones don’t have a scan on them that I know of. Terrified in case it’s spread to the device I use for banking etc. Can anyone help? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Malware problem

Something tells me these aren't legitimate emails. Are they telling you to pay anything or to go somewhere and sign in?

** I work for VirginMedia but all opinions posted here are my own.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media do send out emails of this nature, as evidenced on their help page here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/mirai-malware-alert

Quote: "You may have recently received a letter and/or email from Virgin Media explaining we have been notified that an online device on your network contains malware named Mirai."

Maz81 should follow the advice given in the above link, safe in the knowledge that according to Virgin Media, "If you have followed the above advice you can be confident that you have resolved the issue."

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Not sure what win32/protos is but the naming format indicates the malware is Windows specific. Any Windows device(s) connected to your network at the time indicated in the email?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If it’s a win32/xxx malware then if can only come from a windows machine, definitely not a router. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Did not ask for payments did ask me to go to virgin media to to check settings. Provided a link but did not use it . Did go and check my settings though. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

To be honest I have 1 windows device and it’s in a cupboard gathering dust with no power as it hasn’t been used for that long. We use iPhones and iPads mostly. Have smart tv which is not connected to WiFi anymore hasn’t been for ages and a security camera I use for keeping tabs on dogs when I go out. That’s the only device that was active on those dates that was not iPhones 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Your security camera might be the culprit here.

In the case of Mirai you don't need to do much beyond leaving the default username and password on an installed IoT device unchanged.

Infected devices may be cleaned out with a reboot, but since scanning for potential bots happens at a constant rate, it’s possible for them to be reinfected within minutes of a reboot.

This means you have to change the default password immediately after reboot or must prevent the device from accessing the Internet until you can reset the firmware, and change the password offline.

You should take immediate steps to secure your camera, and any other IoT devices you may have, by rebooting and changing any default passwords to something unique and secure.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

To be honest I thought it would be the camera. I did change the password when I set it up for first time about 4 years ago but for what It cost and how long I had it had my money worth from it. I played it safe and deleted the camera app from iPhones and iPads. Do you think they are safe from the malware?? Wary of connecting the camera to change anything now so I will just invest in a new up to date one. 

0 Kudos