cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAC FILTERING HUB3

ALF28
Super solver

I have set up wifi mac filtering in advanced - wireless -security which lists computers, tablets, printers, v6, now box etc.

I presume it gives some added protection restricting allowed connected devices.

Also, under advanced -security there is another  option -mac filtering  which also list my devices but mac filtering is not switched on, so is this for internet or ethernet  connections and do I need to list devices and turn on.

I am puzzled why there are two lots of mac filtering, one under advanced-security, the other under advanced -wireless -security.

I did try switching on the advanced -security-mac filtering and it blocked connection rather than filter the device as an allowed device.

Some use mac filtering to time limit devices (hub 4?)

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mac-filtering#hub3orhub4

alf28

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi ALF28, have a look at the information around MAC Filtering on our website and let us know if that helps clear things up for you - https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mac-filtering

Tom

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi ALF28,

Thanks for your post.

Can you clarify what it is you are asking? Is why are there two types of Mac filters?

Zoie

Zoie_P thanks, I think I understand this?

Wireless MAC filtering

This section allows configuration of MAC address filters in order to block or restrict internet traffic to specific devices on your WiFi network.

Disabled
 Allow
 Deny
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
MAC filtering

This page allows configuration of MAC address filters in order to block internet traffic to specific devices in your home network.

MAC filter list
Device name MAC address Enabled Delete
No MAC filtering rule applied!

When would you like your MAC filtering to be active?
 Always on
 I only want to restrict internet access at
---------------------------------------------
My understanding is that wireless mac filtering can allow or deny any added listed devices, I have ticked allow and added all my devices.

The mac filter list is different, it is used to block or restrict listed devices- It is by default on, but I have not added devices as I do not want to block my devices.

Is mac filtering advised, the options are in the hub settings for some reason. I think the mac filter can be set with restricted times for children, but I do not require that. Not sure if there is any benefit from mac filtering, it seems to be administrative but also may benefit security?
It is tricky to set up and can end up locking you out, but I managed.

alf28

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi ALF28, have a look at the information around MAC Filtering on our website and let us know if that helps clear things up for you - https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mac-filtering

Tom