cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Letter received regarding DOS attack generated from my network / PC etc

RightraxDH
Joining in

Hello everyone

I have today received a letter as many others on the forum have eluded to regarding a Denial of Service attack emanating from my setup? How do I investigate this? I have followed the letter advice to the letter and followed their process about dont worry  and it probably isnt "your fault" but then threatens disconnection under fair use policy if I dont resolve it??

I have got bit defender, malware bytes and zone alarm on my machine and none have found an issue of any type. ( I know that there can be conflicts with different packages and dont believe this is an issue casing me this grief.

I have made sure there are no rules on port forwarding 

they then basically say you sort it without providing any help on how this should be done other than standard letter descriptions I have already done.

it leaves you worried about what they will choose to do thats not your fault. Any comments welcomed

regards to all of you

13 REPLIES 13

Ok it was an Xbox chewing the bandwidth. I eat my hat. But I still question why speedtest gets 10Mbit, and Xbox gets 100Mbit? How can the router not share the connection in equal amounts? Does it respond to QoS in packets from the client - question to Virgin engineers.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @jepper 

Have you tried using the ookla speedtest app on your PC instead of the browser version?

The Xbox uses the app. I always find the app gives a higher reading than the browser version.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm using the Ookla command line version on Linux. Please read my post, nowhere did I state that I was measuring bandwidth from the Xbox. I stated the Xbox was using it. Nor did not just type all those bandwidth test numbers hand, forgive me for being lazy and doing everything in the most efficient way (in a Linux shell that is!). To be sure:

$ speedtest --help
Speedtest by Ookla is the official command line client for testing the speed and performance of your internet connection.

The Xbox bandwidth was discovered via my Ubiquity management software which has some basic monitoring ability so at least one can see in real time how much bandwidth is consumed per IP address using the access point.

Hi @jepper

Thanks for posting on our community forum

Sorry to hear about your issue, how has the performance been over the weekend? Have you noticed any improvement?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs