cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Letter in regards to Virgin "Denial of Service attack"

Lee-D
Tuning in

I got a letter though from Virgin telling me that "We been notified by a third party  that a device on your home network has participated in a Denial of Service attack, which is where a computer system sends a large amount of traffic to another computer system or network" I have scanned my laptop with F-Secure and it found nothing, I've tried contacting Virgin, and that is a nightmare trying to get through to them, any help or suggestions what it could be would be appreciated and how to find it you.  Not sure how to find this out what ever it is as F-secure can't find it

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey Lee-D, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community. 

Okay, so this was just us sending a letter out for you to do a  virus scan as our systems picked up some strange actives. 

If you have done a scan and nothing has come back and everything is fine.

You do not need to worry everything is fine. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey Lee-D, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community. 

Okay, so this was just us sending a letter out for you to do a  virus scan as our systems picked up some strange actives. 

If you have done a scan and nothing has come back and everything is fine.

You do not need to worry everything is fine. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hi Matt, Thanx for your reply, I scan our two laptop every couple of days now and still finding nothing. Is there any way I can track the traffic going through my router so that I can monitor it? Because that's three letters I've had through now, tried contacting Virgin but I can't get through to anybody except BOTS so I'm getting rather sick of not being able to chat to a human. Terrible customer service. TIA

Hi Matt, sorry I don't know a lot about laptops and routers, so can there be a malware in the router? and  if so how do I check the router it as well?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Lee-D There won't be any malware on the VM Hub (router).  Do you have any other devices connected to your network other than the laptops such as fíresticks or similar?  If these have been sideloaded with unauthorised apps they could be triggering the letters.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanx Graham, I have other devices connected to the router like 2 laptops, CCTV, TV, printer, Alexa and fire stick which I've disconnected a few weeks ago and still getting letter through, the worse thing about all this is you can't get anybody from Virgin to speak to and help online or phone, I've tried  numerous times without success. When my contract is up I think I'll go back to BT at least you can get through to them. Thanx for your help.

Hi Lee-D,

Thanks for coming back to us. We do apologise for any distress this letter has caused. For more information about this, please check the link here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/security/denial-of-service-attacks

This should explain in more detail and assist you further. 

Kind regards Jodi. 

ds003b2083
Joining in

Hi,

I too received a letter from VM regarding 'information from a third party' regarding malware originating at my IP address, as, I suspect, did many others.  The solution, it seems, was to download VM's internet security package from F-Secure, with a veiled threat of removing the internet service otherwise.  The F-Secure package had a three month free period, ending on August 31st (2022), after which the cost world be £30/ year.

I am now (6th August) receiving 'reminders' daily to renew this product, even though, as I said, it runs until August 31st.  Going to the 'renew' page it is unclear whether renewal would be from 1st September or immediately.  Also the £30/ year charge was shown as a huge discount on a standard charge of £169.99, with the default being to renew automatically.  Would this be £169.99 renewal in August 2023?  This whole thing seems to me like serious sharp practice, and I would advise anyone to check carefully what they may be signing up for.

I've had F-Secure since I got Virgin Broadband in and I've had no problems with it at all. I've done a scan everything I get this letter through but nothing is ever found. The letters a definitely from Virgin, but if I can't contact virgin and get a responsible explanation, then when my contract is up so will Virgin, absolutely can not get through to a virgin rep tried for a month and gave up. One did phone and when I answered and said hello twice without reply I always hang up, if you call somebody and they answer and you do not acknowledge with a reply then that's ignorant. Shocking customer service. 

Hi there @Lee-D 

I'm so sorry to hear that you have faced this issue and you have struggled to reach us. 

Can I ask if you have been able to follow the steps on the link provided via our forum team above? 

Have you received this letter again since performing the recommended scans? 

Thank you.