Menu
Mikey96
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Is this text message legitimate or not?

Hello everyone. I have been recieving text messages from a number claiming to be VM asking me to give them a date which they can use to call me back about changes made to my account. Im posting this here just to make sure that this is legitimate before I respond to it.

The message reads : "Hi, Virgin Media here! We've been trying to contact you about some changes on your account. Pls txt back the best time & date to call you! e.g. Thursday 21st morning."

The message says that VM have been trying to contact me before this text but recently I have had other emails or phone calls from VM recently. Also, for a professional company like VM the spelling of "Pls" and "txt" does not seem trustworthy. Can anyone help as to the legitimacy of this message? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Community elder
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is this text message legitimate or not?

Have you kept a note of the number?  If so you can use one of the 'Who Called Me' services on the internet to see if it's a known number and a goodie or a baddie.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mikey96, thanks for your post.

If you confirm the number the message came from on here, we can check on this for you as well. 

Cheers,

Tom_F

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Also, for a professional company like VM the spelling of "Pls" and "txt" does not seem trustworthy ...

=====================================================================

Interesting …. IF it is a genuine text message … then it depicts the 'unprofessional' attitude of the VM brand !!!

You are correct - NO company uses such abbreviated/poor spelling in communications if they are ' seriously professional!'

Rather like this forum - (apart from a few very well informed knwledgeable inputters)  - it appears to be all... 'I can't deal with this- contact via phone' and 'high-fives' / 'backward baseball caps'  / emojis  … et al!!!

... ZvnK ...

... ZvnK ...

0 Kudos
Mikey96
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replys everyone. Should I PM the number to you Tom_F or is it ok to post it here in the discussion?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Mikey96 wrote:

Thanks for the replys everyone. Should I PM the number to you Tom_F or is it ok to post it here in the discussion?

In this specific case posting the number here should be fine.

To other contributors in this thread I fear that the increased use of 'text speak' and other shortcuts in responses is symptomatic of the ever expanding creep into the social media world.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Mikey96
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ok then. The number I recieved the texts from is 07418344440.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I will look into this and get back to you Mikey96.

THanks Joe_F

0 Kudos