cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a genuine text from Virgin?

Darrenski
Joining in

Unsolicited and no letter from Virgin re change as yet so is this genuine?

"Hi, it's Virgin Media. On 9th August 2023, your home phone service will be switched to our fibre network. We'll send you an adapter(s) as you need to connect your home phone to the Virgin Media Hub so you can continue using it. Reply with ACCEPT to be switched over or with CALLBACK if you need help."

22 REPLIES 22

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Darrenski 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. Sorry for the confusion but yes that is a genuine message from us.

Changing to the phone service via cable is a government objective and this has to be completed by 2025, we are choosing to take the change over now to ensure all of our customers have been migrated prior to the current telephone exchange being closed down in 2025. The links below will explain more;
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover and https://www.futureofvoice.co.uk/

Moving forward, is your landline near your router so can be connected, or do you need a re-location/modification of wiring, both of which we can send a technician out for.

Please keep us posted and also if you need further help with anything else 🙂

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

In a world of scams and phishing, why would any competent business do this?

At least with an email we can check senders details.

Realised I have answered my own question..... competent....

Hi, I have just received a text from this number stating: 

Hi there. Have you been happy with your broadband's reliability, coverage, and speed over the last 7 days? Please reply with either YES or NO.

No reference to Virginmedia. Is this genuine or a scam?

Thanks,  John

SP89
On our wavelength

Also received this. Personal policy for me is to ignore numbers I don't recognise. Saw this text and it honestly comes across that another competitor is trying to market to me, or someone's trying to gather information.

It's good that I can see the number it's sent from (because it's not difficult to send an SMS under a fake name using certain providers), but it's not good that VM official outbound numbers don't appear to be listed anywhere.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

If all of VM's outbound numbers were published, it would just provide a handy list for the scammers to copy and use as a fake caller ID

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, this is a number we do use however its normally for the phone switch over. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

davidas99
On our wavelength

I've just received a text from this number, asking about broadband performance. If anyone at VM thinks that a recipient with half a brain is going to respond to an unsolicited text from an anonymous sender, without any form of authentication, they need to go back to school...

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @davidas99 

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

What exactly did the text say regarding your broadband connection performance?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Travis_M

Ah, I've already deleted it, so this is from memory:

"Has your broadband performance been ok in the last week, reply Yes or No"

Sorry I can't give you the exact wording.

HTH