cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a scam call?

francesk
Joining in

I had a phone call this morning from 0207 059xxxx number ( i have the full number) claiming to be from Virgin Media - it sounded like a call centre somewhere in Asia. They said my router had to be changed and they would send a new one. They emphasised there was no charge for this and they didn't need any details from me. They did not ask for password or other account details. The only information they asked for confirmation of was the first line of my address and postcode.

I challenged them by asking how did i know they were from VM and he told me how long I had been a customer, what services I had and the amount of my last bill. Seemed genuine.

However, I'm concerned if they send a router and it isn't a genuine VM one, they have a way to track any transactions I process online.

I called the number back after the call and got a recorded message saying I had missed a call from Virgin Media. Don't worry, the team will call you back' . That doesn't prove anything.

Was this a genuine call? Do I have to change the router?

5 REPLIES 5

Anankha
Problem sorter

Usually scam calls will ask for account details/bank details/passwords so the fact they didn’t & as they knew the amount of your last bill may indicate the call is genuine.

Although it’s no guarantee I would enter the full number here: https://who-called.co.uk & check to see if there’s any report shown.

My Broadband Ping - Virginmedia

Thanks for this. The fact they didnt ask for any personal info other than my address (which isnt difficult to get) suggests it was OK, but a look up on the number suggests many of the previous lookups tagged it as negative/susicious.

The difficulty is I cant figure out what they hope to gain from the call

is there anyone on VM I cancall to find out if t was genuine? Would I get an answer if I called the helpline?

Support should be able to see if anyone has called you. You can also wait for a reply here from VM support.
I too cannot see what they’d gain. If they gave the correct answers to you asking for account details then they must have them, if they’re not Virginmedia then they have sensitive information about your account which is worrying.

My Broadband Ping - Virginmedia

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If they do send you a new Hub, VM staff should never refer to it as a router, then it has to be initialised on your account, so not much chance of getting a non VM one.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @francesk,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post.

I do apologise for any alarm caused. After checking our systems, I can confirm this was a genuine call from our team. 

As you currently have the super hub 2 which is one of our older routers, an upgrade was offered to you 🙂

I hope this clarifies things and can put your mind at ease.

If you have any further questions, let us know. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs