cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a VM number?

mart1969
Superfast

Is this a real VM number or a scam? Googled it and got conflicting answers. Twittered Virgin and got a generic response so asking you guys 🙂

0330 3035 301

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mart1969 wrote:

Is this a real VM number or a scam? 

You cannot use the phone number that appears in caller display to judge whether a call is genuine or not.

The UK' s ancient analogue telephone system means that it is easy to spoof that number to whatever you want. Scammers always do that to disguise where they are calling from and to give themselves more credibility.

So, even if it is a genuine VM number, the call you received could still have been from a scammer claiming to be from VM.

The only way to judge is to consider things like:

• were you expecting a call from VM or have recently been in touch with them about changing something or leaving VM?
  • did the caller know who you were and information such as what VM package you are on?  Did they refer to your recent contact with VM?

If so then the call might have been genuine.

If they asked you to allow them to access your computer then it is definitely a scam.  

It has often been reported here that VM do make unsolicited sales calls so it might have been one of those but even then it's probably best not to engage with them.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mart1969 wrote:

Is this a real VM number or a scam? 

You cannot use the phone number that appears in caller display to judge whether a call is genuine or not.

The UK' s ancient analogue telephone system means that it is easy to spoof that number to whatever you want. Scammers always do that to disguise where they are calling from and to give themselves more credibility.

So, even if it is a genuine VM number, the call you received could still have been from a scammer claiming to be from VM.

The only way to judge is to consider things like:

• were you expecting a call from VM or have recently been in touch with them about changing something or leaving VM?
  • did the caller know who you were and information such as what VM package you are on?  Did they refer to your recent contact with VM?

If so then the call might have been genuine.

If they asked you to allow them to access your computer then it is definitely a scam.  

It has often been reported here that VM do make unsolicited sales calls so it might have been one of those but even then it's probably best not to engage with them.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

CHEERS!