cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it a genuine call?

JoJo19
Tuning in

I've had several calls from Virgin Media claiming that there are multiple errors and flags on the system because my broadband is not working as it should be. We had the router replaced recently due to lots of problems on the system. This mornings caller was James Morgan (01499 33xxxx) who asked me to get in front of my computer to check some settings which would take 30 mins. I was anxious that it wasn't genuine, so I told him it wasn't convenient and to call back this evening, to give me time to try to contact Virgin Media myself. Anyone have any advice?

[MOD EDIT: number edited in case it's an innocent number being spoofed]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JoJo19
Tuning in

Sorry, typo, caller number was 01499 32xxxx

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

JoJo19
Tuning in

Sorry, typo, caller number was 01499 32xxxx

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes it is a scam call hoping you will allow them access to your computer in order to steal from you.

The call was not from Virgin Media. They do not make calls of that type.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin will NEVER call you about issues with your router or equipment, nor will they ask you to download any software.

This was a scam call. You have a telephone number that is in Virgins number allocation for your area (OFCOM publish lists which are downloadable) so they just assume you are with Virgin.

I would also ask please do not put the numbers that call you on the public boards. Scammers use freely available software to use any number they like, even your own. They have been cloning the numbers of legitimate businesses & residential customers for some time in order to evade number blocking & to make them look a legitimate UK caller when they are actually calling from India. I will therefore ask a moderator to remove it.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for your advice. Sorry for posting the number, I didn't realise I shouldn't do that. I saw in a previous post that someone asked what number they had been called from, so I included that in my question. I see a moderator has removed part of the number now, so I hope that is OK.

Kaff55
On our wavelength

Obviously doing the rounds, just had one such call myself and told him to sling his hook!!

Fake calls claiming you have a fault on your broadband connection.

I often get these calls to my virgin landline phone, from fraudsers usually asking if I am a BT customer so I just say "wrong number" and that does the trick.

Sometimes they just say your broadband is hacked etc. and your details are compromised.

Usually the voice is an indian or female chineese/philipines accent with poor clarity and they do not provide any name, and the clue is the phone number will not be a virgin phone number they are ringing from and somtimes a witheld. phone number, I have recently had one on  my virigin landline phone on 14/04/2022 (bt call)

Always put down the phone if unsure, and contact virgin directly yourself if you need to check if a call was genuine, but my understanding is that virgin do not make these type of maintenace/fault calls.

The fraudsters will target landlines and also mobile phones inceasingly these days, I had a fake virgin call to my mobile phone also recently.

Note, although witheld number can be blocked, I do not block them as NHS calls we sometimes receive use witheld numbers for security.

alf28

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi JoJo19

Thanks for your post to the Community and thank you to all of our wonderful members for your support with this. 

Having experienced these calls myself, I can appreciate how concerning they can be. If you are ever in doubt, I would always recommend hanging up and calling the business directly. If the call is genuine, there will be notes to confirm this. 

Information on how to handle and report calls of this nature can be found here.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns. 

Thanks

Nat