cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it a genuine call from Virgin?

Sarah3105
Joining in

I keep getting calls from an “unavailable out of area” number purporting to be Virgin telling me it’s not a call that will cost me anything and wanting to discuss changing my call package. I am asked if I have received anything in writing which I haven’t at which point I say I will discuss it with them once I do. The caller knows my full name and that I am the account holder. Can anyone advise if I’m being too cautious?  Is this really Virgin contacting me or not?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Sarah3105 wrote:

I keep getting calls from an “unavailable out of area” number purporting to be Virgin telling me it’s not a call that will cost me anything and wanting to discuss changing my call package. I am asked if I have received anything in writing which I haven’t at which point I say I will discuss it with them once I do. The caller knows my full name and that I am the account holder. Can anyone advise if I’m being too cautious?  Is this really Virgin contacting me or not?

You are right to be cautious.

Start with the assumption that it is a scam call, then try to prove otherwise. Lack of a caller ID is a red flag IMO.

Caller ID's, showing recognised VM numbers, are regularly faked by scammers. AFAIK, the real VM do show a caller ID of some kind. Sometimes it's a recognised VM number, sometimes even a mobile no. for sales agents WFH. Who would know if a VM-looking caller ID is real or not or whether a call from some random mobile no. is a real VM sales person or not?

Unfortunately, the possibility of a faked caller ID and the fact that it is very hard indeed to tell real from scam VM 'sales' calls, means that anyone phoning and claiming to be from VM should be ignored IMO.

If you are interested in changing your call package, make an outbound call yourself to one of the recognised VM numbers and go from there.

The VM forum team may possibly have access to some kind of sales records to confirm if you had a genuine call or not. They will usually reply on here within a day or two.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Sarah3105 wrote:

You are right to be cautious.

Start with the assumption that it is a scam call, then try to prove otherwise. Lack of a caller ID is a red flag IMO.

Caller ID's, showing recognised VM numbers, are regularly faked by scammers. AFAIK, the real VM do show a caller ID of some kind. Sometimes it's a recognised VM number, sometimes even a mobile no. for sales agents WFH. Who would know if a VM-looking caller ID is real or not or whether a call from some random mobile no. is a real VM sales person or not?

Unfortunately, the possibility of a faked caller ID and the fact that it is very hard indeed to tell real from scam VM 'sales' calls, means that anyone phoning and claiming to be from VM should be ignored IMO.

If you are interested in changing your call package, make an outbound call yourself to one of the recognised VM numbers and go from there.

The VM forum team may possibly have access to some kind of sales records to confirm if you had a genuine call or not. They will usually reply on here within a day or two.

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Sarah3105, welcome to our forum and thanks for your post.

Sorry to see there has been some confusion as to whether we are contacting you or not. I always find being cautious in these instances is the right thing to do to protect yourself. However, I will certainly check to see if the team have been calling you. To do this I am going to send you a PM to confirm your details.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules