Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identity fraud

Qaiser_hameed10
Joining in

Hi all,

Wondering what I should do.

Someone has taken out a mobile phone contract it seems in my name and an old address. I only picked up on this via a credit report app I use which showed my credit score had gone down by 64 points due to missed payments. (I've been prompt with all payments for many many years) 

Did a little digging into the credit report and found virgin telecoms as the account opened Feb 4th 2022 and missed payments for last 2 months. How can I get this addressed?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Either wait and see what advice the forum team offer or follow that given here Fraud and Security | Virgin Media Help (highlighted below).
2022-05-23.jpeg

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Qaiser_hameed10,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm very sorry to hear that there appears to be a disputed mark on your credit report related to us. So that we can investigate this matter further for you, I'm going to send you a private message in a few moments. Please respond to this when you can and we can proceed from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Qaiser_hameed10,

Thank you for getting back to me so promptly via private message on this matter. I'm glad that this is being addressed and resolved.

If there's anything more that we can assist you with, please do feel free to reach back out to us here on the community forums.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

willhiggins14
Joining in

Hi. I believe the same has happened to me. Please could you send me to someone who can correct this ?

mobile fraud

I also had a mobile phone registered in my name and email address but in Australia, so not linked to virgin but have used one of my emails to register the phone.?  the email cannot have been verified which can happen.

I have been in touch with the Australian company who are investigating but will take a few days to respond

At first, I thought it was spam email until the mobile number appeared in the emails and the mobile company has just had a data breach and the emails appear to be genuine.

So, I am not sure if it is a mistake or fraud, but difficult to deal with and took 3 communication attempts before I got any reply.

Not the first time I have had this happen, where someone uses the wrong email address/details for purchases and very difficult or impossible to sort due to data regulations, I also I have had my mobile number linked to another person's bank account, and similar issues with PayPal which I no longer use.

mobile fraud?- perhaps where others have used your email/details to purchase a mobile phone etc.

As well as using my email address used to purchase a mobile phone and set up an account, there were 4 attempts to access or set up Facebook account with the same email- requesting identity-photo and dob. These emails look genuine from Facebook but could be phishing as they have links but are not listed in my facebook-recent emails sent from Facebook servers, so it would appear someone was trying to set up a new account in Facebook with an email address which may be similar to my own email address.

I am not sure if the mobile fraud and facebook issues are linked but there was a batch of emails in April 2022 which indicate some activity and the mobile phone number provided which may be unusual to give the full number, so it may just be a very clever phishing scam or even some sort of prank, or an attempt to get access to my email, Facebook etc.

As my Facebook identity was provided in 2020 following being locked out after possible hacking, further request for identity would be unusual and the account appears to be secure.

I am unsure if it is phishing, fraud, hacking but I have not clicked on any links form the mobile phone company or Facebook emails.

The incident started in last year and the emails all look absolutely genuine sent from the companies involved.

This does not involve virgin media, but I did this post to indicate that fraud can involve social media also.

I am still waiting to hear from the mobile company involved which is in Australia.

As the email address in question is used widely for social media it may be wise for me to restrict what else I use it for.

In some cases, it is possible to be billed for services you have not ordered yourself or unpaid debts.

The problem can be caused by shop purchases where customers give fake or wrong details and identify checks are faked or no checks done.

Hi willhiggins14, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

We're sorry to hear that you believe there has been fraud against you. So we can investigate things, I'll need to confirm some information with you. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs