Menu
Annoyed1974
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Identity Fraud

Having checked my credit report I found an account being opened in my name at an address I haven't lived at for over 3 years by Virgin Media.

As soon as I noticed this I contact their customer services team to report it.  Sadly that was not the end of the matter.

I have since then (October 2018) received 2 letters from their debt collectors (BOP Collections) chasing payment for a handset which is not mine or anything to do with me.

This matter has been reported to Action Fraud and the relevant crime reference number has been given to Virgin and BPO Collections.

Despite all of this because someone knew enough of my details to open an account online the cost of the handset is down to me to pay.  I have lodged a formal complaint with Resolver regarding this, and despite it being referred to "Senior Management for assessment" I fully believe that their incompetence is going to drive this to the Ombudsman who will hopefully have more sense and ability to check things properly than the ******** at Virgin.

I have to question what checks, if any, are conducted by the sales team at Virgin Media but also their fraud team as this is beyond a joke.  The total lack of communication I have had regarding this issue is staggering.  I have never been, nor will ever be a customer of theirs and I would strongly advise other people to avoid them like the plague.

Appalling.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Identity Fraud

Hi Annoyed1974,

Thanks for your post.

We do have a fraud process for situations like this. I'm sorry to hear this is ongoing. To get this resolved our fraud team would need to look into this further. Can i just ask if this issue has been referred to this team?

Thanks

Lindsey_C

0 Kudos
Annoyed1974
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Lindsey,

I have been informed that it has and the only feedback I have been given, not from Virgin I might add, is that it isn't fraud because someone had enough of my details to do this.

I have been informed that it has also been referred to senior management to review and see if they agree with the fraud team's response.  It is only because I have lodged a formal complaint that I have been given this small amount of feedback from Virgin.

I appreciate that this kind of thing sadly is now becoming more commonplace, however, This was reported as fraud over 2 months ago and I am still being chased for the cost of a handset that someone else fraudulently obtained.

Something is quite clearly not working quite right.

Martin

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

My apologies Martin.

Have the team advised of the next steps?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Annoyed1974
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Only so far as I now have to wait to hear.  If the senior management agrees with the fraud team response then I will apparently be issued with a deadlock letter which I will then take to the ombudsman.

That is assuming that I get contacted at my actual home address and the don't try to contact me at the address which is 3 years old and clearly not mine.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Okay thanks. 

Please let me know if you need anything further.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos