Menu
Confused9
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

ISP recorded message call

Hello and good day , was woken this morning with my landline ringing . Was a recorded call supposedly from my isp telling me my internet would be cut in 24 hours due to illegal activity and I could press 1 to speak to someone , thought it may be a possible scam so didn’t press 1 and just hung up . Can someone please confirm if this is a practice virgin media carry out or is just a suspected scam as I thought ? The number that rang was 01258346776

thanks and regards confused9 

0 Kudos
shauneeb
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: ISP recorded message call

Complete scam attempt, VM would never contact you to warn you about having a service terminated. For example, if it was due to illegal acitivity such as pirating music/films you'd receive a copyright infringement notification letter through your door as well as an email, even then they wouldn't cut the service. Although if you failed to pay your bill on time due to insufficient funds in the account then the services would be temporarily suspended until you call them to settle the outstanding bill before they reinstate the services.

Farscape1
Joining in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Had the same phone call this morning.13.06.2019.

Hung up after it said press 1 to speak to someone.

0 Kudos
SG_Trev
Joining in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I got the same call this morning. When it said press 1, I STUPIDLY pressed 1! Then it just said "goodbye". Did I dodge a bullet because they genuinely didn't have any operators at that time? Or should I still expect a nasty "surprise"?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
shauneeb
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

In pressing "1" you probably just logged your number with who ever it is as active, or maybe they charged you for a premium phone call when you pressed 1? (unlikely, but food for thought before the next time you decide to press anything when answering). Expect future calls from them or for them to pass your number around like a peace pipe to other scammers, always hang up, never engage in conversation, block the number.

SG_Trev
Joining in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Good advice, thanks

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Absolutely useless blocking the number, they are just using spoofed numbers and next time it will be different. 

Recently I called one of the numbers in the caller ID as it was on a local London exchange that I recognised. Any yes, the guy on who answered had had his number spoofed and was trying to get BT the give home a new number.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Doudar
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Had 3 this morning already, all on different numbers. Bloody sick of them.Smiley Mad

JohnD
Strangely strange yet oddly normal.
0 Kudos
tony_ray
Tuning in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I had the same some weeks ago not long after I had had a letter from Virgin informing me of loss of service on a certain date. Therefore, I thought it must be genuine but didn't press 1 as I already knew the answer. Then, yesterday, I had 3 more calls throughout the day despite Virgin Service Status being normal. Finally, another call at 0730 this morning.

It is no use informing the information commissioner as nothing gets done! Surely, in this day and age of high technology something could be done to trace these people, shut them down and prosecute. How come somebody's phone can be high-jacked like this? Not very secure communication is it.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tony,

Thank you for reaching out to us, I am sorry you are receiving these unwanted calls, I appreciate it is very frustrating, 

Did you know you can register with the Telephone Preference Service (TPS). This will make sure their phone number isn’t available to organisations that make this type of call. The TPS can be found at www.tpsonline.org.uk or you can call the registration line on 0345 070 0707.

Kind regards

Paul.

0 Kudos