cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP address compromised?

heidi-001
Joining in

I have just received a phone call from virgin saying my IP address has been compromised (they rang from 01615286xxxx). I didn't follow through with their questions as I was worried it was a scam. How do I find out if I have an issue?

thanks Mel

[MOD EDIT: number edited in case it's an innocent number being spoofed]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You have correctly identified this was a scam call. When they call again, just hang up on them without talking to them. Broadband providers do not make unsolicited tech support calls in this way.

The forum moderators have removed the phone number as the fake caller ID used by the scammers increasingly is being found to belong to innocent parties who are unconnected with the scammers.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You have correctly identified this was a scam call. When they call again, just hang up on them without talking to them. Broadband providers do not make unsolicited tech support calls in this way.

The forum moderators have removed the phone number as the fake caller ID used by the scammers increasingly is being found to belong to innocent parties who are unconnected with the scammers.

thank you for the prompt response. I thought it might be fishy. Sorry for posting the tel. no.; i should have though of that.

thanks