cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've been sent an email about DOS and have no Idea what to do

Barwench10
Joining in

I've received an email about DOS activity on my BroadBand and have no idea what to do

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your patience and we fully appreciate the cause for concern after receiving the email. We’ve spoken to our Security Team to shed some light and they have re-checked the data and there appears to be some wrong flags on there and you may ignore the email received. We apologise for this error and they have stopped the automated communications flowing from the incorrect flags whilst they look into it so it doesn’t happen again.

Thanks,

Lisa

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

27 REPLIES 27

Rustiebin
Joining in

We have just been sent one too. Scared the life out of me. Run virus scan and malware scans on all devices, all clean. I think our problem is due to a third party router I bought. I put the Hub 3 into modem mode and then ran everything through the new router. I think I may have not set it up correctly, perhaps left all the ports open. So we have just reverted back to the Hub 3 as the sole device. I'm hoping that has solved our problem.

Madjamjar
Tuning in

Also had the same email.  I only use stock virgin hub and have bit defender on all computers.  All scanned, all clean. 

Same here. All router ports closed, all devices protected by Norton 360 and Safe Web, no malware detected. Looking across the help forum there seems to have been a sudden surge of these letters just today, with everyone saying pretty much what I've just said. It begs the question whether the third party reporting this has made an error. 

We have Panda Dome, not detecting any problems. Not sure how to test if there is still a problem?

conedxf
Settling in

Same here, I have been through the firewall logs, confirmed the router is locked down etc. nothing whatsoever.

Also checked the traffic logs for the day concerned, nothing out of the ordinary. I'll keep monitoring it, but without more information and an alert quicker than 48 hours after the alleged event it's difficult to see how to do much more.

Mark

richavery
Tuning in

I received an email, too. WebSafe is always on, McAfee anti-virus is always running and the firewall is always on. I ran a full scan and no threats were found.

It's all very well Virgin Media telling me that, although it "probably [wasn't my] fault", my account could be cancelled due to their Acceptable Use Policy but they have given me no real help in preventing the attack or in finding or resolving the problem. (They told me to protect myself in the future by using WebSafe - as I've said, I do use it. If the tools they give us aren't up to the job of protecting us, surely the blame lies with them?)

It's a comfort to me that other people have also had such emails. Hopefully, as someone said above, this is just an erroneous message. If my network really has participated in a DOS attack, I don't see how I can prevent this from happening again without help from Virgin Media.

Hello richavery

Thanks for your post  and sorry to cause any inconvenience regarding the DOS email 

We are fully aware if this and are waiting on an update from our support team 

It is nothing to worry about though 

As soon as we have an update we will let you know on here 

Gareth_L

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your patience and we fully appreciate the cause for concern after receiving the email. We’ve spoken to our Security Team to shed some light and they have re-checked the data and there appears to be some wrong flags on there and you may ignore the email received. We apologise for this error and they have stopped the automated communications flowing from the incorrect flags whilst they look into it so it doesn’t happen again.

Thanks,

Lisa

Thank you for clarifying that here on this forum.

However, having received the email containing the incorrect and worrying information, I have received no further email informing me that the original was incorrectly sent to me. Can I make sure that Virgin Media is going to contact all of its customers who received the email, assuring them that there is nothing to worry about, that the email was sent in error and apologising for any anxiety and/or inconvenience that the error may have caused?