cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I sent a scammer a picture that had my IP address visible, what can I do to secure my home router

JimMcg1
Joining in

I sent a scammer a picture that had my IP address visible, what can I do to secure my home router? Will I have to change my IP address is this possible?

5 REPLIES 5

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the miscreant had remote access to your device disconnect it from the network, turn it off, and seek further advice to re-secure the device.

In their default configuration routers are reasonably secure, for example remote management is off and use of Network Address Translation (NAT) means unsolicited incoming network traffic is dropped.

Without revealing any personal information are you able to detail how you came to send this miscreant a picture.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the reply. 

it was in reply to a private message on Twitter where I thought I was talking to someone else guiding me through setting up an account with  a trading site. The scumbag asked me for a screen shot of the account. The only details on the screenshot was the IP address.
I was using my phone connected to home broadband doing this. 

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Consider reporting the incident to ActionFraud and seek further advice from them.

Thanks for your help 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, JimMcg1,

Some very good advice given by 用心棒  also we do have additional support available here:  https://www.virginmedia.com/help/security-hub

Cheers,

Corey C