cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to test iPhone for malware

Colinw2003
Tuning in

Received email
I am searching but not finding helpful advice .. iPhone android tablets and pcs attached to internet. I expected more detail on malicious traffic ! 

A device using your internet connection may be infected with malware

We’ve been notified by a third party that malicious traffic has been detected coming from a device using your internet connection. We don’t know which device this is, but it does mean your personal data and online financial transactions, including credit card purchases, could be at risk.

It’s likely that a device connected to your broadband is infected with malware. This probably isn’t your fault, but it's important you get your device fixed so the malicious traffic stops as soon as possible. We’ll help you do this below.

We need to let you know that if you don’t get it fixed, to protect others we may need to suspend or cancel your broadband service in line with our Acceptable Use Policy.

What to do next

We recommend using anti-virus software to scan and clean-up your devices. There are a number of trusted anti-virus software options available if you don’t have one already.

For help with this, please visit virginmedia.com/networkattacks

As well as using anti-virus software, Web Safe is available for free to Virgin Media Fibre customers to help protect you against malware and viruses. Full details can be found by signing in to Your Account at virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia and going to My Apps.

13 REPLIES 13

jem101
Superstar

Honestly, I would simply ignore the email, I don’t think it’s even possible to scan an iPhone due to the locked down and sandboxed nature of iOS

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There are other less secured devices on your home network that maybe source of malicious network traffic report. Issue has been flagged to the forum who will hopefully be able to provide more detail from the report; be aware it can take them a few hours / days to respond.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Morning Colinw2003,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I'm sorry for any confusion caused by the letter received, we would advise to follow the advise in the email to ensure everything is secure.

Alex_Rm

Letter and email are contemptible pieces of useless words ( chocolate teapot is my analogy )

I require the name of the third party 

I require the type of activity that has been identified, dates and times of all supposed transmissions

I require virgin media NOT to threaten , but to support users. 

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Apologies we're unable to provide more information on this @Colinw2003

I'm sorry to hear you've perceived this as a threat, we're simply tying to make you aware of any potential malware issues. 

Have you followed the advice outlined in the email? 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Virgin media THREATEN to suspend or cancel my broadband service if I do not get “it” fixed

my devices software and hardware are clear

virgin media are unable to identify what malicious traffic is supposed to have happened, when, who the third party is that has advised of this traffic. 
to me it shows virgin media are not supporting their customers - only capable bullying by throwing unsupported accusations out when an automated unidentified tracker is alerted to an unspecified indeterminate malicious traffic ! 
oh my , great IT guys lol

incompetence 

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for running the checks requested within the communication Colinw2003. 

We appreciate your frustration with this and we are sorry we have not been able to provide you with more information.

These precautions are taken to ensure the safety of our customer devices and details and performing these checks goes a great way towards doing so. 

We apologise for any inconvenience or frustration caused. 

Nat

Please reply only to answer my needs

Who is the third party

what was the malicious traffic ( date time type etc) 

What support virgin media can offer as a company - by providing this specific information 

- maybe it is best I leave virgin media and find a better broadband - customer focused - provider 

Hi Colinw2003, thanks for the message. I am sorry to hear about this notification and this would have been sent by the internet security team. We would recommend changing the password for the online account as well as downloading an antivirus which can detect malware on the devices connecting to the network to stop this happening and removing the malware from the device. Chris