cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I change my email password?

claret3
Joining in

Following my ntlworld email address being locked a VM operative changed my password over the phone. I want to change this password again - but I cant see how to do that? It doesnt seem to be in the settings menu.  I'm not very tech savvy - can someone help please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sign in to My Virgin Media, go to My Profile and/or Manage Accounts depending on whether the account concerned is your primary account or an additional one. Select the account concerned and then click on Change to the right of password if a primary account or View/Change then change to the right of password for secondary accounts.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

26 REPLIES 26

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sign in to My Virgin Media, go to My Profile and/or Manage Accounts depending on whether the account concerned is your primary account or an additional one. Select the account concerned and then click on Change to the right of password if a primary account or View/Change then change to the right of password for secondary accounts.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Hi claret3, thanks for the message. Please do what Graham_A has suggested and let me know if this has been resolved. If you are still having issues with the log in let me know and I will be able to update the password for you. ^Chris. 

not sure what you mean by secondary accounts but presume It must be a primary account as I'm the acc holder and only have the ntl email addess. I've done this now so fingers crossed thanks

mhlgreen
On our wavelength

The solution given no longer seems to work.

Manage my additional accounts now only gives delete as an option for an account

We phoned for help and have been told that the vital email account should unlocked in 7-10 working days

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mhlgreen wrote:

The solution given no longer seems to work.

Manage my additional accounts now only gives delete as an option for an account

We phoned for help and have been told that the vital email account should unlocked in 7-10 working days

It appears that the option to change a secondary account password is now only available by logging into the secondary My Virgin Media account.  Not good if the secondary account is locked but not the primary account.

Good Morning @mhlgreen, thanks for your post and I'm sorry for any inconvenience or frustration this has caused. 

Do please come to us after the 7-10 working day time frame has elapsed, and if assistance is still required, we'll be on hand to help.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

mhlgreen
On our wavelength

Trying to unlock an associated email account - progress report.

Graham_A, thank you for your help.

I think you are right and if an associated email account is blocked, you can only sort it out by phoning 150.  You need to know the details of both the primary and associated account holders and possibly both be present

After an interminable series of options, you eventually get through to a technician.

It may be unfair, but I suspect that the first technician we spoke to, who said it would take 7-10 days to fix the problem, did not know about email or what to do.  The 7-10 days was just to get two annoying pensioners off the line.

Since there were likely to be time-sensitive emails that she could not access, we tried again after a week.  This time the technician said he had fixed the problem, but it might take an hour before we could access emails.  Unfortunately, whatever he did failed to work.

Yesterday we tried for a third time.  This time, the technician Rahul, unblocked the email account while we waited and gave my wife a temporary password to access it.  She was able to see and deal with the urgent emails.  Thank you Rahul.

Ironically two of the most recent emails were fakes allegedly from Virgin saying her account had been hacked and that she needed to click on a link to resolve the problem (she didn't).

It took another 150 call today to guide us into resetting the temporary password.

A small downside of the whole business is that we can no longer log into the principal account to read emails or gmail in associated accounts.

Final comment, this seems a massive foot-shooting exercise by Virgin.  Changing providers means notifying every contact and changing the login email for every website.  A major disincentive to switching.  But if we don't want to be locked out for days, it looks as if we will have to go through the tedious process anyway, and use email addresses from another provider.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mhlgreen  Since I made the post that you refer to I have found that you should also be able to change a secondary account password via the forgotten password route: https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password

Hi mhlgreen,

Thanks for posting, I'm sorry you still seem to be having some issues with your email account.

Can you confirm if the link Graham_A sent is of any help?

Alex_Rm