Menu
Highlighted
Kangaroo123
Just joined
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hoax Call - Your service will be disconnected

Had a call today informing me that my ISP (Virgin) will be disconnecting my service due to illegal activity and asking me to press 1 to talk to them.  I did not, I hung up

I dialled 1471 and the number that came up was 01246 040821

Has anyone else had the same call recently?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hoax Call - Your service will be disconnected

This is a very common scam that often gets reported here and in other places.  Just ignore them.  I rarely actually hear them as all calls go the answer machine unless from a recognised number.

petersladdie
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I have had two calls today but the number was unavailable when I checked. I have registered with the Telephone Preference Service but this type of call is not in their remit so I followed their advice which was to report the scam to the Citizens Advice Bureau. If I had not been expecting a call I would have let the call go to the answering machine. if you are registered with the TPS you could report the number you have to them.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Action Fraud would be a more appropriate organisation for reporting this type of scam.  TPS only covers calls originating in the UK.  The number you see on the caller ID is often faked in any case.