Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help re malware alert from Virgin please

brockett
On our wavelength

I got an email from Virgin a little while ago saying the following:

"A device using your internet connection may be infected with malware

You have received this email as one or more of your Virgin Media mailboxes has recently been locked due to suspicious activity being detected.

It is important that you:

1. Do a full virus scan on your device with up-to-date anti-virus software
  2. Reset your password to something new, unique to this account and secure.

After resetting your password, your mailbox will automatically be unlocked after 15 minutes."

Can you please advise. I think that the email with the problem is my husband's address, but I am the primary account holder and we don't know how to change the password on his secondary account. I don't want to change the password on my main account. Also, the email said that his account was locked until he changed his password, but it isn't, he can still get into it. We're really confused!

It does look as if he may have some suspicious activity in his email, with a lot of undeliverable messages with strange addresses.

PS We had a problem last month and he reset his password (I think I phoned to get that done that time) - and just a couple of days ago we got a call from someone saying they were from Virgin and were we happy that our problem had been fixed. It seemed strange to receive such a call so many weeks after the problem. My husband didn't trust it - I said yes it's fine before he hung up on them! Also, we have both run virus scans on our computers and have no issues.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@brockett wrote:

Can you please advise. I think that the email with the problem is my husband's address, but I am the primary account holder and we don't know how to change the password on his secondary account. I don't want to change the password on my main account. Also, the email said that his account was locked until he changed his password, but it isn't, he can still get into it. We're really confused!

Sign in with the primary account holder's authentication credential here My Virgin Media > My Profile > Manage accounts and amend his password from there.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@brockett wrote:

Sign in with the primary account holder's authentication credential here My Virgin Media > My Profile > Manage accounts and amend his password from there.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you so much, so easy!

Hi @brockett,

Welcome back to our community forums. 

Sorry to hear you are having a malware alert issue with your emails. We can understand your concern. Have you tried the great advise given by @用心棒? If so is the issue ongoing?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

brockett
On our wavelength
It's fixed thank you, I managed to change his password for him 🙂 I do wonder if the guy who phoned the other day saying he was from Virgin was genuine though and whether this trouble is something to do with him.

Glad to hear this was resolved @brockett!

In regard to the call, were you able to get a hold of the number that called so we can further investigate this for you?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

brockett
On our wavelength
Sorry we didn't get the number. He said he was from Virgin and he was following up on our recent issue, and he wanted to know if he could close the ticket down. I thought he was genuine, but he asked for our name, address and date of birth (I think it was that) and my husband immediately said don't answer that, they want too much information and he hung up though I did call out 'it's all resolved'! Afterwards I did think my husband was right and nobody should be asking us for that much information.

You're absolutely correct @brockett

For a start you've mentioned some stuff there we'd never ask as a security question.  Certainly not in 2021.

Regards

Lee_R

brockett
On our wavelength

For future reference, would you be able to tell me what Virgin would ask for if they did ring us?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@brockett wrote:

For future reference, would you be able to tell me what Virgin would ask for if they did ring us?

As a general point, VM will never make unsolicited tech support calls to customers so, if you receive one out of the blue, then it is a scam.

During a call to VM customer support, those posting on here are often told that 'someone will call you back' but that is often just a way to end the call and get the customer off the phone and the return call never comes. If you have opted out of marketing calls from VM, it will be very rare you will ever receive a genuine inbound call from VM.

Scam callers often fake the caller ID to look like VM phone numbers so it is impossible to tell if you are receiving a call from the real VM or a scammer. Giving out any security or personal information to an inbound caller claiming to be VM is unwise IMHO.

If you need to speak to VM, then the safest way to do that is to place an outbound call using the recognised VM support numbers. For support and general queries, I would say you will get the most useful help on here from one of the VM forum team or other forum members.