Menu
Dal13
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hard credit check

Why have virgin media credit checked me and effected my credit score. Im not even a virgin media customer. Never was and never have been. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hard credit check

Could be a case of identity theft fraud.  Perhaps Acton Fraud could help.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Consider contacting Virgin Media to request further information about the hard search via either:

2018-06-14.jpeg

Source: https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/privacy-policy.html#getintouch

@ModTeam  the above mail address is incomplete.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Kaz_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dal13

Many thanks for your post.

Given what you have said I am sorry to hear this.

If there has been a check made against your credit file and this was not linked to yu then you can email our credit teams also to request that this be removed from your credit file.

Additionally if you believe you have been the victim of fraud I can log this with our fraud teams too for them to investigate for you.

For me to do the above I need some info from you and I'll pop a PM to you for me to request this securely.

You can find this on the top right on the forums in the purple envelope,

Kind regards.

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Annoyed1974
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I know exactly what you are going through.

I too have been a victim of identity theft and had an account opened at an old address (haven't lived their for over 3 years).  I have already notified virgin of this and apparently their fraud team have done the "proper checks" and established that their is no fraud.  I have given them and their debt collectors the Action Fraud reference but apparently I am still liable for the cost of a fraudulently obtained handset.  If "proper checks" had been done the account would never have been opened in the first place.

I have had to raise a formal complaint as despite all of this I have had no communication from Virgin regarding this and have still been chased for the money they say is owing.

Just because some thieving scumbag knows enough of my details to open an account online does not make it MY debt to pay.

The customer service is shocking at best and I am hoping that their "senior management" has more brain cells than the people in their call center who, lets be honest, just seem to read from a script.

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Annoyed1974 wrote:

I know exactly what you are going through.

I too have been a victim of identity theft and had an account opened at an old address (haven't lived their for over 3 years).  I have already notified virgin of this and apparently their fraud team have done the "proper checks" and established that their is no fraud.  I have given them and their debt collectors the Action Fraud reference but apparently I am still liable for the cost of a fraudulently obtained handset.  If "proper checks" had been done the account would never have been opened in the first place.

I have had to raise a formal complaint as despite all of this I have had no communication from Virgin regarding this and have still been chased for the money they say is owing.

Just because some thieving scumbag knows enough of my details to open an account online does not make it MY debt to pay.

The customer service is shocking at best and I am hoping that their "senior management" has more brain cells than the people in their call center who, lets be honest, just seem to read from a script.

The "proper" checks were done, if the person opening the account had enough personal info to open the account and pass the required checks then there really isn't much more VM can do, how exactly do you propose they make it harder, if you have enough information they have to assume that this person is who they claim to be, they can't exactly request photographic ID because not everyone has it, i spent a good few years without valid photographic ID because i didn't need a passport and i don't drive so i didn't need a drivers license, so realistically there are only so many checks they can perform

Annoyed1974
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The check that makes sure my name matches my date of birth appear to have been done, however, no regard to the fact that I have not resided at the address for over 3 years has been taken into account, or even appears to have been queried.

Surely if it had been me that had been given this account I would have known where I actually lived.

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Annoyed1974 wrote:

The check that makes sure my name matches my date of birth appear to have been done, however, no regard to the fact that I have not resided at the address for over 3 years has been taken into account, or even appears to have been queried.

Surely if it had been me that had been given this account I would have known where I actually lived.

As far as i know, they don't check, i mean generally speaking you're not going to apply for service at a place where you don't reside for residential services, considering they were installing at the address that was provided thats all that really needs to be checked, there really isn't any way for them to find out where you currently live, the electoral roll cannot be considered accurate for that so how exactly would you propose that a company look in order to find out your address without a court order? due to data protection laws no other company can just give out that information without good reason

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Annoyed1974have you spoken with ActionFraud and/or Citizen's Advice concerning the matter?

0 Kudos
Annoyed1974
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

A credit check against me at that address would have shown that I don't live there. 

If the debt collection company they use can find this much out then surely Virgin can establish the same facts.

0 Kudos