Menu
OOT
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hacking

I have been hacked by people pretending to be Virgin Techies calling to help with broadband issues. 

Be aware

I wish I could get Virgin interested because the hackers know all the virgin phone line numbers and can line them with accounts. 

• My PC is disabled and I am very frustrated that I cannot get any interest from Virgin - you might suppose they would want the details. 
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hacking

Sorry to read that you have fallen victim to these miscreants.

Take a moment to note down in as much detail as possible what occurred during the call, review it and then take appropriate action to mitigate further threats, for example if during or after the call you accessed online services from the same device consider them compromised.

Consider contacting ActionFraud for further advice and/or to report fraud.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your post and for reaching out to the Community Forums, OOT,

I'm sorry to hear this has occurred. Can you tell us a bit further about how you were hacked, is this for your email or broadband? How is your PC disabled? You can find out more details here

If you are referring to scam phone calls, some great advice has been given by @用心棒 Please be sure not to share details with them, If you have shared any details do let us know. You can find out more about scam calls here

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
OOT
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

17/1/21 My email ([removed] was hacked just before Christmas - sending emails to my contacts asking for help and money and at the same time wiping off my contacts and disabling the emails account. A few days later after I changed supplier from Sky to Virgin Media I recieved a call purporting to be from VM which because they were able to quote my account details ( I had started the order but it was not complete) and the equipment hanging off the Broadband it was pretty convincing.

I allowed them access to my PC because they said they were trying to improve my broadband speed.

I twigged when they asked me to confirm my bank details which were coincident with my account number.

I refused and shortly after shut the call down.

Some time later I discovered that my PC was locked and I could not open it.

The next day I recieved calls also purporting to be from VM this time using UK numbers 016****755 and 019****94 plus an 0207 number. They did not stay on the when I mentioned the earlier call I suspected was a scam. I called back but only 019****755 answered (Motherwell) and the Scottish lady who answered said she was a Virgin customer - I advised that her phone was probably cloned like my email account.

After days of wastng my time trying to let VM know of the problem I joned their community group n the hope that company may notice my problem.

The engineer who attended my PC to restore it said this was ( in his experience) a new virus and very damaging. It took almost 4 hours for him to restore the PC and get back my Desktop and documents.

I would be grateful if you have a mechanism to contact Virgin Media because I would very much like to change my account details and security details.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

this is a common scam but they will not of had access to your virgin details.
They bulk call blocks of numbers and try there luck.

What details did they know?
If you signed up using hte hacked email they may of got the details from there i guess or you may have spyware in the pc
0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Out of curiosity, did the engineer name the virus and say what was done to resolve the issue?

0 Kudos