cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hacked

Ripjing
Joining in

I got hacked last year and im sure my ip is out there somewhere and im frightened of getting hacked again. Ive noticed when i got my new SH4 that the i.ps the same. Is there any way i can get my ip changed. Thanks for any help. Really appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The short answer is no. IPs are automatically assigned & very rarely change. The only way to force a change is to buy your own router & put the hub in Modem Mode. Changing to Modem Mode & then back again will just reinstate the old address.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the speedy reply nod. Yeah ive put it into modem mode already and didnt change. Ive even had a Hub swap on an upgrade the last couple of weeks and its still the same i.p. I thought I.P's were tied into the MAC? 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It’s unknown for the WAN IP address not to change when you go from router to modem mode. are you sure it went into modem mode? What are you using to find your WAN IP address. I use whatsmyip.org

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi Tudor,

Yeah ive put in to modem mode and back again a few times mate and its remained the same. Im using my Asus router config and whatsmyip for the lookup and even chrome now shows it at the top of the search page which ive just found out when you search whats my ip 🙂

Thanks for your help, really appreciated.