Menu
Highlighted
Helplessuk
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hacked ntlworld primary email account

Hi I think my ntlworld primary email account has been hacked. I'm constantly having to change all online accounts passwords that are linked to this email address. Any online account I use keeps getting hacked. I change the password and within the hour or a day or so it needs to be changed again. I've had things been payed for by my paypal account, listings been put up on eBay and things brought on my Amazon account. Even my Apple account has been accessed and I've not used this account in about 5 years. I do have virus protection on my pc. So the only thing I can think of to stop all this is to change my email address which is my primary virgin account address. So how would I go about changing my email address  ??? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hacked ntlworld primary email account

Follow all the steps in this help article:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

Also download the free version of Malware bytes from their website and run it on your PC.

coenoby
Well-informed
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Helplessuk wrote:

I'm constantly having to change all online accounts passwords that are linked to this email address. Any online account I use keeps getting hacked. I change the password and within the hour or a day or so it needs to be changed again.

For me that suggests a couple of things:

1) Possibly when you set new passwords they are very easy for the hackers to guess based on your previous password, or....

2) Your laptop or computer has been infected with malware which is sending your new password to the hacker as soon as you change it.

To mitigate those:

1) Make sure that you create very different passwords every time you change them and make them as complicated as the relevant online account allows. (In Virgin Media's case that is 'not very!').

2) Make sure that you scan your device with Malwarebytes as advised by Graham_A and that it includes the latest updates.

You should also follow the advice in Graham_A's link that covers checking whether the hackers have set up autoforwarding or any filter rules in your VM email account. That would mean that emails from eBay. Paypal etc are sent on to the hacker's email address. From what you say I think that it is very likely that they will have done that.

You also say:

"So the only thing I can think of to stop all this is to change my email address which is my primary virgin account address. So how would I go about changing my email address  ?"

Based on what you said earlier, the hackers have you firmly in their sights and so you need to take rapid positive action.

One thing you could consider is to create a Gmail account straight away and start using it just for your online accounts such as eBay and Paypal. I suggest Gmail because it has some excellent security features such as 2Factor Authentication (see https://www.google.com/landing/2step/#tab=how-it-works ) which will make it much more difficult for the hacker to gain access.

Once you have done that, you can then go through all your online accounts and strengthen the password and at the same time change your nominated email address from your VM address to your new Gmail address.

You can then either keep the Gmail and VM accounts both running or you could decide to move over to Gmail completely. However, the important thing is to get a secure emall account registered with your important  online accounts asap.

Despite your forum name, you are not helpless in this situation at all Smiley Wink and if you take action along the lines I have suggested you should be able to get the hackers off your back for good.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Helplessuk
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you both so much for the reply and I'm going to work through all suggestions you have both made. I will do the checks on both my phone and pc plus work through changing all the important account passwords and change them over to my gmail email address. Again thank you so much. The trouble I've been having has been over 8 months now. I knew I had to ask for help from somewhere and someone else. When last weekend someone paid for 3 train tickets through my paypal and this weekend put up listings to sell stuff through my eBay account. So I'm defo happy for the help and to get this all sorted. Thank you x

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Consider finding an email service with security that is equal to or preferably better than the online services it secures.