cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HUB 3.0 VPN Vulnerability

Amilya
Tuning in

Hi there.

I've been working from home recently and have to log into a works computer system using their supplied VPN service. The work is quite sensitive and recently I was contacted as I am using Virgin Media. I have been told I must no longer log in using my current connection due to my Hub having a potentially severe vulnerability and that I should contact Virgin for a resolution. They didn't say what the vulnerability was other than to do with VPN.

When I queried it further I was given the following link to visit:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/09/virgin-media-o2-uk-still-suffers-router-bug-that-expos...

Any help is greatly appreciated as well as a swift resolution.

Thank you.

16 REPLIES 16

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

'appalling' - i think not - but thats just my opinion - it is what it is - it works for the vast majority of VM's customers - you are one in a tiny minority - you and your IT dept have choices to solve the 'perceived' problem

again imo - VM are not going to solve it for you

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Its not 'perceived' - it is a fact.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Amilya wrote:

Its not 'perceived' - it is a fact.

whichever - you or you IT dept are going to have to solve it i suggest

Tony.
Sacked VIP

I'm going to leave that in Virgin's court at the moment since I'm still waiting to hear from them regarding this. Seems like they have a number of issues with this Hub which is basically making it not really fit other than giving a basic internet connection.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Amilya wrote:

I'm going to leave that in Virgin's court at the moment since I'm still waiting to hear from them regarding this. Seems like they have a number of issues with this Hub which is basically making it not really fit other than giving a basic internet connection.

VM replied a while ago stating the hub was to spec - what else are you hoping for 

as to being fit for only a basic internet connection - thats what you are paying for and i would suggest thats what you are getting

i think VM have finished with the thread

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Erm, 'basic functionality' it is indeed. But I would expect it to be secure and work correctly. I don't think that is unreasonable. I could talk about other faults.. what about this Intel Puma puma chip?. We spent an entire weekend last week trying to figure out why my daughter was having problems with her games before that was brought to light. Looking through the forums it seems that many other people are having issues with it and Virgin appear to do nothing to help. I can't help but wonder what else is wrong with this thing, I dread to look.

The silence from Virgin is deafening and lacklustre at best.

The hub3

The old hub 3 is approx. 5 years old now (mine is 2017) so is old technology and since then the hubs 4 &5 are available with different models/makes.

I had lots of issues with my hub 3 so I bought my own cheap Wi-Fi router and put the hub 3 into modem mode which solved some problems.

Some still use the hub2 which may also have some security issues.

Virgin are slow to roll out the newer hubs, probably often hard to source them.

I was using a vpn myself via my own router, but had problems with it, my antivirus detected lots of issues (6 quarantined items detected) and blocked the browser connecting when using some vpn connections and I could not connect via google to the virgin media website due to unusual traffic, so I am not using a vpn at the moment.

The vpn is supposed to be more secure and private using encryption and protect your ip address, but often use unknown servers in many countries so may not be 100% secure.

As virgin have not addresses the vulnerability it may still be present?

For high security connections then a domestic hub may not be as secure as a virgin business hub or a new high spec router with inbuilt protection, they are not expensive and use modem mode, I am sure the community would advise a suitable router.

alf28